New Good Releases: Beginning with Seales Port

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

New Good Releases: Beginning with Seales Port

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks to Scott Thomas...
FOURSQUARE PORT CASK FINISH 9 YEAR RUM 750ML
This is a fine Barbados rum that is aged for 3 years in used Bourbon casks, then for an additional 6 years in used Port wine casks. This is distilled, blended and bottled by R.L. Seale & Co. Ltd, a well-known name in the Bajan (something of, from or relating to Barbados) rum world.
http://www.hitimewine.net/FOURSQUARE-RU ... -PORT.html

. . . . . . .Image

Of course I contacted Richard, and asked him to compare and contrast with his Doorly's XO (also double aged), to which he replied:
"This is ours, its a limited release so under the Foursquare label. It has a very extended time in the much smaller port casks compared to the large sherry butts of the XO so the impact of the wine cask is more profound.

Its getting great feedback."
This is a nine year and is NOT finished, but rather is double aged with the last 6 years in small, potent port barrels, compared to Doorly's XO being a blend of 6 to 12 year rums, with as I recall the last 2 years spent in larger ex-sherry butts (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks again, Scott...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

GREAT tip-off!!!

Might have to snatch up a 6-case of these!
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Just picked up a bottle of this at my favorite DC rum emporium. Very surprised to see it outside TW! I wonder if it's sold outside that distribution deal because it's a limited release
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Need to check my bank account.

Captain ,
is it worth while having a permanent topic to discuss about new bottles that we find interesting ?
(not advertise_ just discuss)
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

AK9 wrote:Need to check my bank account.

Captain ,
is it worth while having a permanent topic to discuss about new bottles that we find interesting ?
(not advertise_ just discuss)
I second this
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Just poured myself an ounce. This is nice stuff. It could EASILY be mistaken for a port finished single malt, or even the port finish rye such as the Whistlepig Old World edition I tried not so long ago. Hell, it might even be mistaken for a Cognac.

It is not sweet so much as "soft", if that makes sense, a sort of "round" flavor. Not that I'm one for postprandial drinks (unless they're cocktails and more cocktails), but I could see this going very well after a nice meal, especially with the cold coming on.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

For anyone in UK, there is a new Port Morant by Bristol Spirits that has appeared in few websites (1990 - 2015).
Not sure if it is the same source as the 1990 - 2007.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Seen some rumous about a Velier-Foursquare release.
Demerara/Trinidad Velier releases seem to be out including a magnum (150cl) caroni.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

UK again. This was from Cadenhead London:
http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/coming ... s-618.html
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Bristol has a 1995 Caroni single cask out 'HTR' type (but for the moment can only see it in Denmark).
The Bristol 1990 Port Morant (bottled in 2015) is also available.

http://www.bristolclassicrum.com/images/Caroni1995.pdf

http://www.bristolclassicrum.com/images ... rant25.pdf

There are lots of Caroni in the market from different IB bottlers. Wonder if this is going to continue in the next years or this is the time to get few for the future..
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Just recently got a few bottles of this. All leaked during shipping. The loss was not terribly significant the worst one lost 90% of its neck. So one should be careful if shipping. The dried brown trails on the sides bottle were signs of leakage as well as in white foam shipping container. None of the other bottles I ordered lost any content.

There is a metal screw off cover under the wax. The wax does little to no good as the content leaked through the wax when held upside down. Foursquare needs to look into their bottle sealing I believe. Any serious collector needs to buttress the seal with extra plastic to prevent premature evaporation from the US bottling.

That said I tried a bottle much sooner than expected as one was leaking when held upside down with slow moving droplets. The wax on the outside was the most brittle wax I have seen on a liquor bottle. Breaking away completely from the tear of the ribbon in large thin chunks aside from a bit on top of the enclosure. The EU bottling seems to be sealed much better than this faux fancy approach.

The rum on the palate in rather surprising. In saying the port cask does its job here is an understatement. This rum to me is a flavor enigma. I have not tasted a rum quite like this one before. The nose is deceiving and smells in my estimation a little young.

The tasting on this one is rather complex as it takes you through different levels of flavor. It takes a few seconds to really bring out its intense flavor. I do get its port characteristics rather sharply on my palate as wine drinker. There is also a nice spice to this rum that continues into its extended finish.

This rum is a bit off the standard rum profile with its port aging and is unique as far as I'm concerned. I have never had a rum offering this profile. Worth trying, just be careful if you ship this rum as the seal on the bottle is not acceptable.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Bought a sample and tried this and have to say it was quite good for its years. Very sippable. Noce quite like cognac (to me at least)..

Changing a bit the subject, but anyboby knows if the "Plantation Trinidad 25 Year Old (cask 4/7) " is good or not?
Is it a true 25 year old?
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

So found the following in the amountofcrushedice website

"Trinidad 1989 – This rum doesn´t exist anymore and is a blend of pot and column stills. It`s fruity and spicy, rounded and rich. A glimpse of the past…."

Do you this could be a Caroni or Angostura?
And do all Plantation rum have sugar?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

AK9 wrote:Bought a sample and tried this and have to say it was quite good for its years. Very sippable. Noce quite like cognac (to me at least)..

Changing a bit the subject, but anyboby knows if the "Plantation Trinidad 25 Year Old (cask 4/7) " is good or not?
Is it a true 25 year old?
https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/planta ... k-4-7-rum/

It will have added "dosage" so I doubt it will be to the tastes of this group.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

http://www.drecon.dk/index.php/12-rumfest-uk-2013

If it is the same, Drekon has good words about it.
Expensive so I am in two minds between this and the 1990 Providence.