Hello from Germany!

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

Hello from Germany!

Post by schlimmerdurst »

Hi all,

my name is Helmut, and I live in Germany. I love all kinds of spirits, from whiskey to tequila... to rum! A few years ago, my love for quality liquor started with a glass of El Dorado 12.

Why join the Rum Project? I was flabbergasted when I stumbled upon your page of sugar additives in rum. I was looking for biased reviews (all non-biased reviews are horribly boring) of less common rums, and found this horrifying list of sugar rums.

In Germany, this discreet sweetening practice is practically unknown. There are only one or two pages where this piece of information has been disclosed, and you have to search for them by using the terms "+zucker +rum", i.e. you have to know the info to find it.

Personally, I think this is a shame. In times of food transparency, companies have to declare all the evil things they add to their products - and so no one really asks for additives in rum if they're not mentioned on the label.

I added a post on my blog (where I also cite your sugar rum list, which is amazing!), and try to spread it everywhere I post, on amazon.de and elsewhere. People need to get informed about their favorite rum, which they like so much because it's so sweet after 12 years in a cask (or not)! I'm afraid most people don't really care, though...

https://schlimmerdurst.wordpress.com/20 ... -so-suess/

After knowing what makes the rum so sweet, my personal list of favorites has changed a bit, but my "number one" is still the same: Appleton Estate 12. I like rums which are different from what you expect, that surprise me, especially dry ones. My latest addition: A bottle of Wray&Nephew White Overproof.

I'm really looking forward to being part of this forum!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I generally wait for others to welcome a new member, but not this time...

Yes, welcome! Indeed. However, I would be remiss not to recognize and thank Schlimmer not only for his support, but for the hard hitting article he has posted at his website, translated here:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -so-suess/

This is a must read, as it is articles like this that get passed around and quoted on the net. Such articles are extremely valuable especially knowing that the world of rogue rum on the net is a small one, and we already know that we can make a huge difference. Schlimmer, my sincere thanks but much more importantly, the Caribbean producers who still produce fine, pure, honest and real rum thank you, as do we here - true lovers of pure and unadulterated rums.

Welcome!
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

Kind words

Post by schlimmerdurst »

Aaargh, that automatic translation sounds like I'm an illiterate caveman...:shock: I'll provide a proper English translation in the near future.

Anyway, thanks so much for your kind words, and that from a pirate captain! :P
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

Very interesting article, nice use of a visual on the amount of sugar in rum. A picture is worth a thousand words, after all!

Welcome to the boards :-)
Marcus
Landlubber

Post by Marcus »

Hallo Helmut,

sehr guter Artikel auch gerade für den deutsch sprachigen Raum wichtig, hier gibt es nicht sonderlich viele Informationen!

nice article helmut, please go on! We need more german article about this kind of rums.

by the way, a lot of the rum i like to drink too ..but i see them from an other point of view..

cheers Marcus
schlimmerdurst
Cabin Boy

Post by schlimmerdurst »

I've polished the Google translation of my blog article and posted an English version on my blog.

https://schlimmerdurst.wordpress.com/20 ... h-version/

Enjoy! :twisted:
Marcus
Landlubber

Post by Marcus »

Great work cabinboy! Like to read your blogposts and articles.