Mount Gay Black Barrel Variations

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!
mamajuana
Admiral

Mount Gay Black Barrel Variations

Post by mamajuana »

I have found several variations locally of Black barrel rums. There are two main types I have found. The first is a single barrel edition where the contents of a single barrel are allocated to a store that are not further blended after being matured for a second time. The bottle I found was from a single cask #1097. Cost of the single barrel rum 29.99.

My notes from the single barrel specific to the store:

Very smooth and sweet with a mouthful of bold spice. The only part that I would rate low was the aroma which was highly astringent. This overall was an excellent sipper with a long finish. This specific barrel I would rate at 9/10. The single barrel overall compared to the standard had better bolder flavor but oddly a worse nose.

The second is from a program called "origins of craft". This is a program where many black barrel distillates are given as a sample and the store creates there own blend with a Mt. Gay rep in store. After the blend is created it is ordered and blended in Barbados for an allocation directly to the store. The cost of this blended rum 25.00.

Stay tuned for the review on this bottling which will be done this weekend when I will be able to over imbibe if needed. Tonight is a nice Real Mccoy 3 year white rum.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The second is from a program called "origins of craft". This is a program where many black barrel distillates are given as a sample and the store creates there own blend with a Mt. Gay rep in store. After the blend is created it is ordered and blended in Barbados for an allocation directly to the store. The cost of this blended rum 25.00.
Very interesting. My question: so what with and how did you blend it? And why? Great stuff...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Initial thoughts on this Black Barrel "Origins of Craft"

The nose is spectacular the best I've had in a while. Lots going on heavy maple, baking spices, cinnamon buns, tropical fruits heavy in banana, sweetness, no alcohol fumes wafting at all even straight from the bottle! This blend has the aroma of a much longer aged spirit than the standard black barrel offering.

The taste on this one is outstanding. This quickly opens to a sharp enjoyable Bajan style spice that dominates the palate with the most incredible length I have ever had on a rum of this style. After the sharp spice it mellows on the palate to a long sweet maple finish heavy in baking spices and fruit.

I need more tasting here dare I give this a 10 rating after one tasting. More to come after further evaluation. But I can say much better than the single barrel version I had. The flavor is explosive and the nose to die for.