Rum Review: Old Monk Rum XXX Seven (7) Year

Is Ron Zacapa a fad? Is Zaya, Angostura 1919 or Pyrat XO? How bout Diplomatico? There's a modern marketing trend afoot and it's toward rum as liqueur. Sweet and easy to sell, er, drink. Here's to Richard Seale, may he never see this section!

How do you rate Old Monk XXX Seven (7) Year Rum (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
50%
No votes
50%

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Old Monk Rum XXX Seven (7) Year

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Old Monk XXX Rum Seven (7) Year: Hot Mapled Leather

What are the three largest selling rums in the world? We all know the top seller - Bacardi, and some might know the second - Tanduay, made in the Phillipines. But few would realize that Old Monk Seven Year Rum, from India, is the third. You see, we forget that there is really another world of rum, far from the Caribbean. Here's a short list:

Bacardi: 19.7 million cases
Tanduay: 12.9
Old Monk: 7.2

The two fastest growing brands are Captain Morgan and Celebration Rum. But, as always, I digress. Like Wray & Nephews Overproof in Jamaican, Old Monk Rum has a cult following in India. Old Monk is produced by Mohan Meakin whose history dates back to Mr. Edward Dyer in 1855. This rum is called a "vatted" Indian rum and is blended and aged for a labeled seven years, and bottled at 42.8% (86 proof). A 12 year version, Old Monk Gold Reserve, is said to exist.

It may be fairly said that Old Monk is the preferred spirit of India and is literally revered. It comes in four sizes: a Quarter (180 ml), Pint (375), and the classic Full or Khamba, 750 ml. A full liter is also available. Empty Quarters are often carried about as good luck charms. Empty Old Monk bottles often are kept as planter/homes for Monkey plants. Old Monk is so popular that a counterfeit called "Jaali Maal" is often sold. Knowledgable Old Monk drinkers distinguish the real spirit by its nasal prickle, while the counterfeit smells simply sweet. It is said the Old Monk is also the intellectual's drink, after tea.

Think about it!

An Indian poster spoke with reverence about his Old Monk:
"OM mostly goes well with cola, soda, a dash of lemon and ice, mixed with either/ or in combination as per the taste of the drinker. OM works well in running nose, regular cough and cold. Just take a shot neat and feel the ball of fire rolling down your throat. There’s another Vedic potion- OM mixed with warm water and couple of tulsi leaves and a spoonful of Honey; works wonders! The biggest advantage of OM is that it does not give any hangover. OM saves packing space while traveling. We called OM as “Liquid Kambal”."
Enough! I was fortunate indeed to stop in at a small, out of the way Indian owned rum shop a few miles south, and ran across a Full of Old Monk in its completely unique bottle for a mere $15. Needless to say, it went home with me. Before Sue Sea could join me in a tasting, she was caused to leave for the frigid north to attend the birth of her daughter's new baby, Emma! So it was left to her son Bryan - a talented taster in his own right, and I - to seek enlightenment from the Old Monk...

Bryan:
This is actually my first posted review here at Jimbo's website, and I surely hope I can live up to my mother's impressive tastings. I have worked as a waiter for 20 years, and have become very familiar with wines.

On my extended stay here in Florida, Jim and Susan have introduced me to rum and took much time - and rum! - to bring me up to speed. Old Monk XXX Seven Year was my first real test. Jim asked me to taste it and record my notes. These were so close to his own - including the score - that he proclaimed me a graduate of the Capn Jimbo school of rum tasting.

When I first saw Old Monk's unique square bottle I was immediately intrigued, moreso when I was told this rum was from India. My first sniff of the bottle was of maple syrup, which reminded me of an earlier, unfortunate experience with 1 Barrel. But after I actually poured an ounce and allowed it to air well, things changed for the better. My high nosing found maple, vanilla, and a kind of lemon floral furniture polish, over a deeper nosing of raisin, maple, vanilla, cinnamon and brown sugar.

Tastewise Old Monk began with a smooth oakey deep orange with maple and vanilla. The ending taste and finish was explosive - very peppery - and with an unexpected very dry, leathery finish, sort of medicinal. The ending tastes and finish were not consistent with the aroma and I found this surprising.

Overall, this is a very aromatic rum. Although it was not as consistent as I would have liked, it was not bad and I would certainly drink it again!
Me:

I sure miss Sue Sea, and not just her tasting talents and I will certainly try to make up for her absence. My thanks to Bryan, whose tastings have become quite impressive. Old Monk is surely a unique rum and that begins with the bottle. Squat and nearly square, with rounded shoulders, and a nice heavily textured glass surface that is easily and safely gripped for the pours that follow. The label is an understated black with a red "rope" trim, and featuring "Old Monk Very Old Vatted XXX Rum", and "7 Years Old Blended".

I poured a dram - or "peg" as they say in India and was immediated greeted with a room filling sweet maple aroma. Its color was a clear deeper amber with a lovely copper glow, and medium-fast legs. Since I noted a nasal prickle I assume my bottle is authentic, lol. The aroma was dark, of prunes and dark raisins, maple syrup, and pungent deep spice, and notable caramel and molasses. A deep dark sweet rich aroma.

I would have to call Old Monk full-bodied and it opens smoothly, and completely consistently dark and sweet. However this effect fades as a growing black pepper takes over and led to a somewhat jarring, astringent, leathery peppery finish, which becomes a glowing white hot! Old Monk left a somewhat cloying sour maple leather, cigar box aftertaste. The kind that Sue Sea would like to clear with a water chaser.

Memorable at the least.

Despite all, this is a more than decent rum. Yes, it is inconsistent, but this is better described as surprising and unusual. And do remember it reflects a profile that is revered in India. For that alone - and especially considering the low price - buy it. It makes for a nice story, and striking change.

Rating (10 is best): 6
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Important FYI...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Important FYI - possible health issue...

FYI, there was a Canadian recall of the 750 ml. Old Monk produced in mid-2007. I recently requested and received this email from a manager of quality control for the Canadian LCBO:
Per the attached public notice, LCBO initiated a Class I Product Recall for 750 mL bottles of Old Monk 7 Year Old rum on November 27, 2007 after we confirmed the presence of minute glass particles in some bottles. All affected inventory was from production dates July 18 and July 19, 2007. The U.P.C bar code on the bottle was 89000557. I hope this information is of some assistance to you.
The issue was "minute glass particles" in the rum. Now of course the question now in early 2009 (1-1/2 years later) is not that this problem still exists, but whether such bottles were sold or distributed in the US, and accordingly, whether they may still be found on the shelves.

This is of particular concern as Old Monk rum is very, very hard-to-find, and may not have sold well. And I have seen and purchased other rums (some discontinued), some years after their original distribution! For example I purchased a Cruzan Rum Cream that was at least 3 years old and spoiled (which Cruzan graciously replaced!).

Turns out my half finished Old Monk carries the same UPC number (89000557)! And I could find no indication of the production date.

Bottom line:

I decided to filter this rum - twice - through some coffee filters, rinsed the bottle well and refilled it. I examined the filters and bottle, could find no particles, and decided that anything glass particles minute enough to pass through a double filtration were not a risk.

Does this mean I should raise my rating to 7? You have been warned...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A recent retasting...

...reminded me of just how nice this seemingly authentic spiced rum was and still is. I used to be a big fan of Indian food and restaurants and especially their use of spices unfamiliar to many Westerners. Old Monk gives the same impression: of exotic and well managed spicing, to me done with great skill and not the usual single-minded and overbearing spicing of most Caribbean rums.

If you ever find one - please - do not hesitate to buy it, and if the price is right (as it was here), more than one. Trust me...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Jim, if you need more Old Monk I've got you covered. I know where there is a bunch of it.

As a matter of fact, thanks to reading your review, I grabbed some of the higher end Gold (12yr) and the extra special 18yr (Which I don't remember exactly what it's called at the moment).

I think I got about 4 of the 12s and 2 of the 18s.

But I left the 7 on the shelves, and it isn't going anywhere. I'm going to guess based on the age of the stores I bought it in that they're older examples, as well. Say the word and I'll grab them for you in April. I'll even check the UPCs.

Scored a bunch of Leyden's Gin as well - a favorite of Sue Sea's, IIRC. Mine too. Phenomenal bottle style on that one.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for the offer, I am more than intrigued by the 12 (which I've never seen here) and the 18 (!), which I never knew existed.

Terrific! Will let you know...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I was able to get a bottle of the old monk supreme for 16.99 a few months ago. I had no idea it was aged for 18 years. While the 7 and 12 have an age statement I never located one on the supreme. The bottle is quite interesting on it with the head that detaches for use as a measuring tool/make shift glass. The bottles typically all have a section where it lists date of manufacture and batch. The old monk sold in the USA at least now is only sold in USA and no other countries (it states this on the bottle I have.) The date was April of 2014. It took some looking to find the batch information on the bottle. While there is a location on the label for is placement it was blank and then I saw the light gray marking far off set from the location it was supposed to be next to. It was on the front of the label which is easily missed at first because the label is mainly black.

The follow website does seem to state 18 years. It also shows the top part detached in one of the photos:

http://www.india-store.de/lng/en/old-mo ... e-rum.html
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I'm not sure exactly where I remember the 18yr figure from, but I know I didn't make it up. I think it's on the outer box on mine. It was the same with the Gold - many of the details were on the box, not the bottle.

I'm at sea right now for another six weeks so I can't check.

I'm pretty sure mine was an older one, since it was in a pretty dusty rum section. There's no way my version was from 2014.

That said, I'm really glad they're still making it! I was thinking it would be extinct.

Perhaps they went through a few packaging changes?
mychurch
Oscar

Post by mychurch »

Very surprised to read how popular this is.

Tasting for the first time tonight and I'm not impressed. Of courses there is alcohol on the nose, but it's subdued and dominated by artificial vanilla, caramel and cinnamon flavours. Medium bodied, this is more akin to alcoholic cough medicine, than a quality rum. Still it's warm in India and this sort of drink tastes a lot better in 40 degrees of summer rather than a cold night in Belgium.