Rum Review: Ron Abuelo Anejo 7 Anos Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Ron Abuelo Anejo 7 Anos Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Abuelo Anejo 7 Anos Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Abuelo Anejo 7 Anos Rum "Maple"

Be sure to read the review of Ron Abuelo Anejo. This was our second tasting of the evening with the goal of comparing the younger Ron Abuelo Anejo to Ron Abuelo Anejo 7 Anos to see what a few more years would accomplish. Really quite a bit, the reviews please:

Sue Sea:
Ron Abuelo Anejo 7 Anos is a noticeable improvement over its younger brother, Ron Abuelo Anejo (RAA). The aroma was still light but had more going on, though still not what I would call complex. Seven has lost the citrus and lightness and I pick up a butterscotch or maple and caramel sweetness, but also a bit of an alcohol aftertone, though not really unpleasant. The taste is still peppery, but not explosive like RAA, but much smoother, almost creamy. Seven has a great finish - noticeably longer, warm, lightly peppery with some pleasant heat. Very Nice.
Me:

The additional age of Seven is noticeable and agreeable. Ron Abuelo 7 is smoother, much more balanced and lasting. Accordingly, it is a better sipper, whereas its younger sibling is more of a drinker.

Ratings (10 is best): oddly enough - 7!

Note: This is an early review, and must be so considered. Much, much later we had the opportunity to revisit all three Ron Abeulos' - the Anejo Especial, the 7 Anos Superior and the 12 Anos Gran Reserva and published our updated comparisons (here).
DEF
Cabin Boy

Post by DEF »

Found this rum today in New Port Richey on sale for $14.99. Came In a box with a deck of cards and a stack of poker chips. I'm having it neat right now and really enjoying it. I am 2 for 2 this week with the ElDorodo 5 I bought Tuesday.