One fine Demerara to try...

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!
JaRiMi
Admiral

One fine Demerara to try...

Post by JaRiMi »

Silver Seal, headed by Signore Massimo "Max" Righi, is a great Italian independent bottler of whiskies and rums. They have had some true gems of fine spirits in their selections, and once again I came across a very fine example of this.

Enmore "Special Bottling" Demerara distilled 2002 bottled at 55% is an amazingly rich, aromatic and fine, complex rum I think. It is so jampacked with flavour...Like the El Dorado that DDL will never release, sadly. It is simply stunning. Liquorice, coffee, dates, dried plum, caramel...well, this baby has them all.

It is not quite as woody or "big" rum as was the Enmore 1995 from Velier, but in some sense I feel this one really lets the rum speak even more than it's older cousin did (in the older the fabulous taste carried much more oak, this is more juicy and fresh).

Recommended? YES. An absolute star for anyone who loves DemRum. Magnifico! Badaboom!!! Fireworks. Sehr gut, would a German say. Essence of Demeraran rum style.

http://www.whiskyantique.com/guyana-rum ... 27125.html

Last edited by JaRiMi on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

I've reviewed it (I won't like it here but its on the site should you wish to have a read) and is indeed a very BIG Demerara rum.

Not many left if you can get a hold of a bottle do so!
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

never bought from whiskyantique before. How was the service? Where they fast?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

I actually got it from Excellence Rhum as they seemed a bit more clear about paying the Duty before shipping it over.
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Thanks for this FRP.

I am changing the subject abit (apologies), but if i understand well when shipping from EU to UK, it is the seller responsobility to pay the UK duty?
Where did you find this info on Excellence rum?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

AK9 wrote:Thanks for this FRP.

I am changing the subject abit (apologies), but if i understand well when shipping from EU to UK, it is the seller responsobility to pay the UK duty?
Where did you find this info on Excellence rum?
The info on Excellence Rhum? I emailed them regarding it and they seemed a lot more savvy about it than Whisky Antique

I'm not 100% sure to be honest it's a bit of a minefield. It can also depend on what paperwork is sent with it etc. I work for HMRC (not the customs side I must add) so I would always factor our confusing legislation and red tape into anything..........

The duty on alcohol is £19.56 per litre of pure alcohol - about £7.48 a litre of 40% spirit for example.

For the kind of rums I would be buying from abroad it's not a game changer if I did get charged say and extra £10 per bottle.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Whiskyantique is a great shop with great service and product selection. No worries there.