Brilliant Toro: Rocky Patel Edge Lite

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Brilliant Toro: Rocky Patel Edge Lite

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The more I experience cigars...

...the more I appreciate good contruction, draw and burn. I can't tell you how many otherwise tasty cigars are ruined when you have to fight, adjust and/or relight them. It also causes you to smoke faster, take in more and hotter smoke. Enter the Rocky Patel Edge Lite.

RP is apparently known for full bodied, smack you upside the head smokes, as well as offering an extremely broad range of cigars, second only to the consistent Arturo Fuentes. Patel is also known for his "secret component" - an unidentified tobacco which remains well, unidentified.

The Edge Lite Toro is around 6 x 50, at the outer limits of how much time and smoke I wish to experience. But I must tell you, this cigar is brilliant. The Edge Lite starts mild and moves into medium. A lovely vegetal entry, and other reviews would add creamy, cedar, touch of leather, possible bit of citrus. I'd add a unique salt and pepper effect. For me the lovely vegetal, tobacco, salt and peppered citrus carries through from beginning to end.

Nice.

Let's call this an extremely pleasant cigar - the equivalent of say Santa Teresa Anejo, or a Matusalem 15. Not too light, not too heavy. Gains a bit of flavor and strength, but never more than medium. It's not the longest lasting stick (think 45 minutes or so), but that's perfect for me.

Here's the best part

I read that Patel claims this is a perfect golf course smoke, and why? Because he claims the amazing construction means you can actually set it down for - I'm serious - 10 minutes and it's still ready for an immediate full draw. Was this true?

Yes! I have never ever experienced any cigar like the Edge Lite, and it's wonderful. I can type, watch the tube, masturbate, whatever and the Edge Lite is waiting patiently for me, ready for a nice full puff. This leads to a pleasant, slow rhythm with no need for constant attention to the burn.

Amazing. This is perhaps the first cigar that I would seriously consider buying in bulk...