Demerara Cask Strenght and Sugar

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!
Altair
Swabbie

Demerara Cask Strenght and Sugar

Post by Altair »

Hi,

I know El dorado is adulterated with Sugar.

Is Demerara Cask Strength (Diamond, Enmore...) 30 years old at 60° adulterated?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

It depends who bottles them.

Of the Independent Bottlers Rum Nation and Compagnie des Indes are the only ones who have admitted to adding sugar. Velier, Samaroli, Cadenhead's, Bristol and Mezan don't at least not from what I have been able to test anyway.

One thing to note though is that a lot of Demerara is coloured with caramel prior to the indie bottlers getting their hands on it. To be fair judging a rum on its colour is a pointless practice anyway.
Altair
Swabbie

Post by Altair »

Thank you.

What do you think of this 2 rums?

http://www.bristolclassicrum.com/images/diamond.pdf 12y

http://www.bristolclassicrum.com/images ... nt1999.pdf 11y

It costs 60€ in europe.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Hey Altair,

The Diamond Bristol I remember as being "good, but not great". I need to revisit my bottle, but am working at sea for the next three weeks, so...

I DO however adore that Port Morant 1999. A classic example of someone doing a barrel finish RIGHT, that really works with the spirit itself and becomes greater than the sum of its parts.

Get one before I buy all of the rest of them. I'm kidding - I think...

To be honest, what I've learned is that the Demerara rums are quite the minefield. They're really all over the shop, taste wise.

You should get both, because everyone is going to have different preferences when it comes to the Demeraras, and the more of them you taste, the more you learn about them.

It's too late for me - I'm a Demerara addict now. Maybe you should get out before you end up hooked!!!

What country do you live in in the Eurozone? We're lucky in the UK with the Bristols - not so lucky with things like the Veliers.

I also tried the 1990 Port Morant sherry version, and to be honest, while the 90 is a bigger and funkier Demerara, the finish doesn't suit it as well. For my taste, the 99 is the home run sweet spot - AND the cheaper one - when the hell does THAT happen!?!

If you buy these, come back here and tell us what you think of both of them.
Altair
Swabbie

Post by Altair »

The Black Tot wrote:...........
It's too late for me - I'm a Demerara addict now. Maybe you should get out before you end up hooked!!!
Too late for me too, I'm drinking Diamond&Port Moran 15 Cask strenght blended in barrell (Velier). It's amazing.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Hahaha, OOOH...straight off the deep end!!! "Vel" done!

Get yourself that '99 and let us know what you think!