Leblon, Avúa, and more

This category practically demanded by here again, gone again KM. Although I'm not ready to give Cachaça its own style, I am willing to accomodate. Chef, RIP: when you were good you were brilliant, but when you were bad, whew...
Hassouni
Minor God

Leblon, Avúa, and more

Post by Hassouni »

Recently tried both the white and aged versions of Avúa cachaça, the latter aged in amburana wood, something native to Brazil. Both are very nice, tastefully funky, flavorful sippers, and I'm sure the white would make a nice caipirinha. They're making a push for greater presence in the US mixology scene, and it's worthy stuff.

Also tried last night, for the first time, Leblon, which is sold everywhere and considered somewhat of a premium product. The nose is AWESOME - wild and caney and funky - no doubt this is pure fermented and distilled sugar cane juice. However, on the palate, it's hot and a bit harsh. The cane juice elements are less present in the taste than in the nose, and I wouldn't want to drink it alone. I'm sure it'd make a great capirinha as well, though.

Finally, almost a year ago, a friend brought me direct from Brazil, a bottle of Weber Haus pot-stilled cachaça. 38% ABV only, but crazy and funky, and delicious - it reminds me of La Favorite, or even Wray and Nephew. This stuff is AWESOME - I don't think it's sold much or at all outside Brazil, but man, if you see it, get it!