Hello from the outer reaches of Leon County

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Hello from the outer reaches of Leon County

Post by Beukeboom »

Just wanted to give a little introduction...basically my interest in rum began last September during the "cruise from hell" my wife and I took. One of the stops was in Nassau, Bahamas and we promised to get some bottles of rum for friends. The store we went to initially was having a free sampling of Ron Ricardo Coconut rum and my wife liked it. So I got two bottles of that for us and seeing that there were other brands and flavors I decided to get some more bottles for us. Ended up bringing back 12 bottles for us and friends.

A little backstory: my only prior exposure to rum...if one can call it that...was in 1981 during my freshman year in college. It was in a small town and the only choices for rum was one type of Capt. Morgan and one type of Bacardi. And guess which was cheaper. Yup...Capt.

That stuff proved to be horrible and had to be drowned in Coca-cola in order to be drinkable.

So when I tried the Ron Ricardo dark rum I found there were better rums. Decided to research and learn as much as I could. In the process I discovered even better rums and have now expanded my horizons greatly.

With all that said I look forward participating.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome Boom. For those who may wonder, Leon County in way, way up north in what's called our Florida Panhandle. Compare to south Florida which tends to resemble a male body part, lol...

Not to mention that Florida is a huge and long state (size counts, y'know), and Boom is maybe 600 miles away, yet still in Florida. In all seriousness though (a rare commodity), a sincere welcome. We have a super bunch of very experienced and outspoken (but respectful) posters that are all good folks.

Carry on...

Factoid: Leon County was NOT named after Leon Trotsky, Leon Russell or heaven forbid, Leon Panetta. Nope, the county - like so many names in Florida are quite historical, and this county is named after Ponce de Leon, the great Spanish explorer, the first European to set foot on our big, uh, body part.

Interestingly, Leon County sits on a layer of limestone that like Barbados, might make a dandy source of water well suited to making fine rum.
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Interestingly, Leon County sits on a layer of limestone that like Barbados, might make a dandy source of water well suited to making fine rum.
FWIW, just south of here lies Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park home of the famous Wakulla Springs (Creature from the Black Lagoon and some Tarzan pics were filmed there) which is a dandy source for water worthy of rum distillation. Considering Florida has multiple rum distillers in-state, it would be most interesting if someone had a small distillerly in Wakulla County using Wakulla aquifer spring water.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

That would be nice. Barbados became the de facto home of rum largely due to the perfect conditions - cane, labor, water, location. Is Leon County next?
RobBosman87
Greaser

Post by RobBosman87 »

Hi Beukeboom,
Another familiar name! If you post only half as much as you rate rums, I'll see plenty of posts from you.
Cheers,

Rob