Yay, I got in.

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
RobBosman87
Greaser

Yay, I got in.

Post by RobBosman87 »

Hi all,

The Captain approved my request to join, bet he is going to regret this. :wink:

I'm a Dutchman living in Dublin, Ireland for about 2.5 - 3 years now. And what do you do when you move to a country famous for whiskey? Right, you get in to rum!

Before I only drank Bacardi and Captain Morgan with coke, but about a year ago I started to experiment with some higher end rums. By now I consider these entry level rums, but back then it was a big step up!

I joined Andy's rating site (daily visitor and its good to see a few familiar names), read a couple of books about rum and started to read a few rum blogs (The fatrumpirate being my fave). Through those resources I became a little bit more knowledgable about rum and as my palate matured became interested in unaltered rums, eventhough I do enjoy an occasional glass of Zacapa XO, Zaya 12 and Rum Nation Panama 21 (don't ban me just yet! :oops: )

However the rums that really opened my eyes are Doorly's XO and Bristol Spirits Caroni 1996.
Some of my curent favourites are the previously mentioned Caroni, Havana Clun SDM, Ron Edmundo Dantes (did anyone tested this one for added sugar yet?), Admiral Rodney, Mount Gay 1703 and my discovery from this weekend: La Hecichera.

As in Ireland alcohol is quite expensive and choices of rum are quite limited I usually order from Master or Malt or get stuff shipped over from the Netherlands.

For those interested you can find my Instagram where I post mostly rums that I'm drinking at:
https://www.instagram.com/robbosman87/
Also my Rumratings profile at: https://www.rumratings.com/users/2519-rob

Guess that's all for now. If anyone wants to know more, just let me know. :D
Cheers,

Rob
SlowRain
Oscar

Post by SlowRain »

Hey, I moved to Taiwan--the land of amazing tea--and discovered my love of good coffee. We all have our little ironies in life.

You and I have a similar start in rum, but I imagine that's pretty much the way most of us got started. As for the price of rum, I share your pain. I'm in a similar situation. But, I have the added cost of expensive shaving supplies from overseas, too.