Hot Buttered Rum

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
bearmark
Beermeister

Hot Buttered Rum

Post by bearmark »

I visited the Copper Run Distillery north of Branson, MO yesterday and it was around 25 degrees and wet. After getting samples of their corn whiskey (unaged and 9-month aged in Missouri oak) and unaged rum, I tried their version of a Hot Buttered Rum. It was just right for the cold day and a great complement to the live music at the distillery that day. Their version includes Chinese 5 Spice, Ginger, sweet cream butter and their own rum, of course. By the way, Copper Run Rum is okay, but overpriced at $30. There's nothing objectionable here (notes of vanilla and dried fruit), but no real character (Flor de Cana Gold at half the price is much better). Still, these guys can't make enough to hold back for aging and that goes for both their rum and whiskey. They're experimenting with wheat whiskey and working on expanding so that they can begin to age some of their product. I hope they do well and turn out some unique and interesting product in the future. If you're ever in the area, make sure to visit their site on the weekend for a tour, tastings and live music. Oh, and don't forget to try one of their unique drinks.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I've never tried a hot buttered but every time I read about it I want one. It'll be next on the list.
in goes your eye out
SlowRain
Oscar

Post by SlowRain »

My Hot Buttered Rum is fairly basic (and Colonial).

-2 tsp maple syrup
-45ml Blackwell rum
-6 whole allspice
-hot water to fill a 250ml mug
-butter (I use ~1/2Tbsp)