Rum Review: Ron Barcelo Anejo Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Ron Barcelo Anejo Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Barcelo Anejo Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Barcelo Anejo Rum: "Baby's Leather Chew Toy"

There are underrated rums and there are under rated rums. Ron Barcelo is, uh, one of those. Lovely bottle with the plastic pour insert that forces you to drink all yer rum - or for preventing unscrupulous types from refilling the bottle with say, La Favorite.

I kid.

I'd been seeing this well presented rum for quite some time. The only thing that prevented me from buying it was (a) we'd already tasted over 90 rums and were suffering from tongue fatigue, and (b) it was so unbelievably economical as to be well, suspicious.

Still, my memories of Ron Barcelo Imperial prevailed, and we just had to know how this younger sibling might perform. The reviews:

Sue Sea:
I love good presentations. When I drink rum I prefer modest lighting in a comfortable and private setting - with the bottle facing us on the lazy Susan, just behind two fresh pours in our favorite tasting glasses. Early aromas often waft forth and my anticipation grows.

Despite its screw-top, Ron Barcelo Anejo comes in a handsome dark glass (almost black) bottle, with an equally dark and sophisticated label. It looks simply rich, far beyond its bottom shelf price. We decided to include a dram of Ron Barcelo Imperial for comparison.

This might be a good time for you to read the Imperial's review (link).

Ron Barcelo Anejo presented with a lightly sweet, leathery aroma. Call it a honey sweet - you know what I mean - just a hint. Nice. This over a background of cinnamon, and with a bit of airing, a light butterscotch. If this rum is flavored (and I think it is not), it is done subtly well. The front palate is honey smooth, then the leather creeps in. Anejo finishes with a rewarding hot pepper. Think white or jalapeno pepper.

All in all, Ron Barcelo Anejo is a terrific younger rum. Had I not known better, I'd have thought it more aged than it is. It is easy to drink, smooth, but with a finishing kick that keeps you interested. A great rum for a party - economical, easy to drink but still memorable.

I'd buy another.
Me:

Well, well - so Sue Sea liked this rum! I did too. In the glass, Ron Barcelo Anejo is golden and has the clarity of a gemstone (thank you, Sue Sea), sparkling and brilliant (thank you, Phoebe). Now before I proceed it's important that you know that Sue Sea and I have spent so much time tasting rums that (a) we've gotten pretty good at it, and (b) we are in close agreement. At least on the basics.

Aromawise, we are in complete agreement: light honey, cinnamon, leather and later, butterscotch. I was more aware of the cinnamon, Sue Sea of the butterscotch. All nice and light. This rum is entirely consistent and drinks very easily, yet somehow manages to keep you on your toes, er tongue, with its "...take no prisoners" finish. Quite unusual for such a young rum.

Now I know you reviewed the Barcelo Imperial review (link above), haven't you? Do so now. Back? Good. In comparison, except for the finish the Anejo lacks Imperial's robustness. Still, it is very educational to compare the two to better understand the effects of skilled aging. While Ron Barcelo Anejo makes a great picnic/party easy drinker, Ron Barcelo Imperial is an evening, post prandial cigar rum. It is richer, smoother, deeper, more complex and more robust.

All told though Ron Barcelo Anejo is a very underrated (or under rated if you prefer), underpriced ($12.95) rum, great for easy drinking and for your rum naive friends and ex-wives.

Score (ten is best): 7.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

This rum is quite good I gave it a 8,

I will have to re-visit it because the circumstance surrounding my time with it may have shone upon it a favourable light. I was in Barcelona in August and it was stinking hot I was sitting around with my cousin (he lives in Barcelona) and his family and friends after eating mind blowing tapas until I was about to explode in a shower of iberian ham, muscles and cheeses from nearly everyliving animal. We had gone to the top of his building to sit on the roof and have a few drinks. I wasn't all that keen on drinking beer even though the temp was sweltering because I was so full with food, so I decided to explore my cousins Larder to see what he had. Lots of wine and not much else, until I spied a bottle of Ron Barcelo Anejo hidden at the back looking neglected.
I thought it would probably be rubbish but beggars can't be choosers and all that.
I poured myself a glass and with still a skeptical if not somewhat cynical frame of mind gave the rum a sniff. Arrogantly I said that it seems to have potential but I'm not holding my breath. So I tasted it. I have to say it was great, surely not the best rum that I've ever tasted but it was in no way unpleasant it is up there in the well made rums class.
It was a delight to seriously take a dint from the bottle as the night progressed over looking Barcelona with good company and a few beautiful Catalanian senoritas.. Airing the glass helps (a redundant thing to say as that is true of nearly every rum). I would definitely buy this and never refuse a glass offered to me. In my must try list of recommendations.

Edited my score as for some reason I wrote 4 instead of a higher number.
in goes your eye out