New Here

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Churchill103
Landlubber

New Here

Post by Churchill103 »

Well glad to find this place...nice and honest...have been collecting (and drinking) wine for years...along with cigars....now my habit seems rum...go to Jamaica 2-3 times a year and have all of Appletons.....now my journey starts...need to start with others besides Appleton...

Scott
Scott
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome mate...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hi Scott, and welcome. Of course Sue Sea and I engaged in the very same journey on which you've embarked. But I have to be honest and tell you both the good news and bad news.

The good news - I think - is that there are many, many rums to explore. The bad news is that there are many, many rums to explore. And your wallet is limited, especially now.

The good news is that these many rums do vary considerably from one another. In style (there are four or five, depending on whether you are me or not, lol) - like Barbadian, Jamaican, Demeraran, Cane Juice and Cuban. Or in type - white, gold, dark, aged and flavored - to name a few.

I highly recommend you visit the main website (link) wherein these styles and types are discussed in detail, along with a way to go about learning about rum in a sensible and organized fashion. You'll find recommended reference rums, plus great tips on choosing and using a proper tasting glass. Otherwise you will be faced with literally thousands of choices, reviews and recomendations for yet another "fine rum" and you will - like me - end up asking the core, key question...

Compared to what?

But as fine as rum can be - and the best rums (often not expensive) can easily hold their own against any other noble spirit - the bad news, the elephant in the room is this: most, I repeat, most rums are secretly flavored or altered. And this is where rums differ from say fine whiskey or bourbon, which are pure and unadulterated.

Thus what is presented on the label as a "fine aged rum" may indeed be a younger rum that has been phonied up with flavorings and adulterants. Fine flavor, perhaps. Fine rum? Spare me. I truly hate to say it but most of what passes for rum would be more honestly labeled as "flavored rum", "rum liqueur" or "rum flavored drink", lol.

I mean it.

Now this is not to say that you should cancel your ticket, but do know what you're getting into. I have done my best at this forum to expose the adulterers and tweakers, and to praise the honest distillers and their pure rum products.

Welcome, learn and enjoy!