Publisher' Sweepstakes Dept: Luis Ayala's "Got Rum&

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Publisher' Sweepstakes Dept: Luis Ayala's "Got Rum&

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I have known Luis Ayala for some years...

1. He was serious about rum, much moreso than the Preacher.

2. His book "The Rum Experience" was one of the early guides to Rum, again far superior to the Preacher's puny efforts.

3. He established the first "Rum University" - a decade before the Badassitor blatantly lifted his names ("The Rum Experience", "Rum University"), even his colors and logo. They don't call this former athlete "The Baddassitor" for nothing. The "University" was free, and actually offered a "certificate" to those who successfully completed it.

4. Ayala for years privately admitted the secret sugar and alteration problem, but never really went public, Why? He makes his living advising and consulting for new producers and new products. You don't bite the hand.

5. When sugar was finally outed, his response was to publish a long article about all manner of very expensive sugar tests, but excluding the most common test of all - the hydrometer.

6. He privately challenged the sugar tests on the basis of accuracy - even though (a) the hydrometer is accurately used by thousands of vintners, brewers and smaller distillers and (b) both Drejer's and my own detailed analysis confirmed that accuracy.

Nonetheless...

http://www.gotrum.com/downloads/1484/do ... st2016.pdf

Ayala has for years published both a hardcopy and pdf version of his monthly publication "Got Rum". To my knowledge this is the only regular publication in re rum, of which I know. You can get on his mailing list to receive each one.

Light but interesting reading with one exception. The rum reviewer scrupulously avoids any mention of sugar adulteration, even when known. I am communicating with Ayala to at least have the courtesy to acknowledge the testing by Finland, the Swedes and others as well as the Master Sugar List...