Sugar Tests: the goal of 1000 tests is soon!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sugar Tests: the goal of 1000 tests is soon!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Amazing!

When the Project first proposed testing rums for adulteration with sugar (et al), we couldn't seem to come up with the proper calculations and protocol. Fortunately the governments of Finland and Sweden had published their own laboratory tests of all spirits sold in their countries, including rum.

However, the BIG breakthrough was made by Johnny Drejer who published the first easy, inexpensive and reasonably accurate test - the same kind that was used by many small distillers, vintners and brewers. Based on this the Project took the time to create and publish a good "how to" wherein any lover of spirits could test his spirits using this proven protocol (also recommended by Richard Seale).

The cost was reasonable (from $30), and the results accurate within a gram or two - just fine. Soon others joined in this project: cyril, mamajuana, the Pirate and others.

Our goal was to gather and publish tests from all sources. At that time 1000 tests seemed a silly dream, but that was indeed the goal. But silly as it seemed....

We will soon reach the goal!

Cyril and I have remained in close contact, and I can now announce that he has now gone public with about 250 tests of cane juice rums, including some very famous names. Add those to the 783 already performed and if we don't reach 1000 tests (I believe we will), it'll be very, very close.

I will also say that until now most afficianados trusted that the AOC and other cane juice producers were reliably pure. Although that is largely true, there are more than a few cheaters as you will see.

In closing, I have TONS of work to do to bring these tests into the Master List but this will be done, as having a single handy source is essential. Rum lover have come to use and refer to the list constantly.

The publication of the truth also means that many smaller distillers have taken note, are now producting honest and pure rums and even labelling that fact! Thanks to cyril and all those who continue to fight for purity and honesty.

Now if only we could trust age statements...

Visit Cyril's List:
http://durhum.com/de-rhums-en-mesures/#comment-1896

And translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... n-mesures/