Sailabout Dept: my 230 bottle collection can be yours!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sailabout Dept: my 230 bottle collection can be yours!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yup, you read it right...

...after 15 years of living in my personal Paradise of South Florida and the Keys, I've decided to go for an extended sailabout. This will happen in a roughly 32 foot blue water cruising sailboat, and my plan is to visit nearly all of the Islands of the Caribbean.

Of course I'll be documenting each one, including visits and interviews with as many legitimate Caribbean distillers as I can and trust me - you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the ugly.

This leaves me with about 230 bottles in varying stages of fill, from unopened to nearly empty, but most have a decent amount of rum, scotch, bourbon, rye et al. There are more than a few collectors' items, for example I have both a 15 and 20 year Pappy Van Winkle. I have some real beauties like the old Diamond Estate, Mount Gay Sugar Cane, and many, many more.

Perhaps one of you would like to greatly extend their own collection and experience for what will be the deal of the century, as there's no way I'm gonna store these and they surely won't fit on the boat.

Thus I am faced - for real - with the classic "If you were on a deserted island, which...". Interested parties should pm me here...

BTW, I hope this may explain my absence here of late as I have been working my aged buns off, getting everything ready to raise sails - and hell...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

In case you were wondering...

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image

The sailboat I have in mind will be very much like one of these. I've been on both - both are ocean going classics from the 70's, a Pearson Vanguard and the famous Allied Seawind II.

Plan to start in the area, then the Keys, Bahamas and the first real stop? Cuba!
Beukeboom
Quartermaster

Post by Beukeboom »

Those are nice sea vessels. Wish I could take you up on the giveaway.

Dumb question...do you have a Facebook page? If so, what's it called? I'd love to see photos and comments there as well.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

That is just awesome! I can't wait to read about your search for a boat, preparations, travels, interviews, etc. Sounds like you need a new forum to post to on the project.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mark, you nailed it...

There will absolutely be a new blog or perhaps another forum, but the Rum Project will live on. I'm not huge blog fan because as the blog proceeds, older posts just fade into the past.

I actually prefer the forum format, as here, as then you can create categories and subcategories, search is better and more effective, etc.

But I'd sure like to hear what all of you think...
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

that's cool to hear.
cyril
Bo'sun

Post by cyril »

what a great project, wish u success livin it J
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

fantastic plan Captain.
This is what life is all about.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

....thanks to all, the godz willing of course, but it will be very soon...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Wow Cap'n!

You leave the internet for a few months and look what happens!

The last log entry on this was the end of September! What's been the news on this so far?
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

News is this Tot...

The house was finally and completely updated and made immaculate for sale, and the buyers have started looking just this week. I expect a sale in the next few weeks, and am working 24/7 on this.

Upon sale, it's off to Spain, Australia or Hydra for a respite from exhaustion, followed by the purchase and outfitting of a proper bluewater sailboat - our new home til the urp, end...

Very close now my friends. And thanks to all who've recently posted...
AK9
Cap'n

Post by AK9 »

Many years ago I was sitting on a bar in Hydra drinking and watching the sunset with fantastic company.
During the winter it might be different and hopeful less touristic.

Enjoy Captain!!
rus
Greaser

Hi

Post by rus »

Just arrived back from overseas and wondering if your rum collection is still available .cheers rus
Happy trails to all on your journeys.am a rum, rhum, ron guy with a bit of calvados and whisk (e)y thrown in...empathically dislike cloyish, sweet, astringent renderings...cheers. rus
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Jimbo, I hope all is going smoothly in this amazing transition. I can only wish the best for you and Sue. Please keep us apprised. 8)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Oops...

It may be time to reveal that although Sue Sea and I remain good friends, we no longer live together. My new squeeze is Marcia - who is not a rum person, but has a great palate nonetheless, into cooking.

I plan to visit most of the Caribbean distilleries and thence to start posting again. House closes in a week, then a couple months to recuperate, and pick a good boat in the 27-33' range.

Assuming our President doesn't destroy the environment, world, international relations, shift more money to the 0.1% and kick 25 million more people off health care by then.

It'll be close...