Tapatalk Support

All suggestions warmly welcomed. May the most you wish for be the least you get!
bearmark
Beermeister

Tapatalk Support

Post by bearmark »

I do most of my browsing on my iPhone nowadays while I'm waiting for other things to happen. There's a nice application available for phpBB (and other forums) that makes the experience much nicer on a phone (iOS, Android, etc.) or iPad than the standard web interface. The catch is that it requires installation of a phpBB plugin and a one-line addition to the HTML header of the forum template to enable the script. If you're willing to add this capability, then click on the icon below for the simple instructions, including the download link for the plugin.

Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
bearmark
Beermeister

Actually, hold on a minute...

Post by bearmark »

Immediately after posting, I decided to check on the versions of phpBB supported by Tapatalk. It looks like you're still running phpBB2, so I would have to suggest that you upgrade to phpBB3 first. :shock:
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
bearmark
Beermeister

phpBB Upgrade

Post by bearmark »

If you're interested in upgrading from phpBB2 (circa 2005) to phpBB3 (currently at version 3.0.10 as of January 2012), then here are the instructions. It's fairly simple and similar to the original installation procedure. Best of all, it can be done in parallel to the current forum, then activated after confirming that everything works properly.

The main improvements that could be useful here are:
  • Support for subforums, global topics and merging/copying of topics
  • Security improvements to prevent hacking and spamming
  • Improved BBCode support allowing image resizing, custom codes, etc.
  • Draft posts that can be worked on before publishing to the forum
  • Improved polls that allow vote changing, reporting by user and more options
  • Improved attachments, including placement and image thumbnails (i.e. only see the big images when you click on them)
  • Improved subscriptions that allow subscribing to forums, not just topics
  • Topic sorting, bookmarking, emailing and printing
  • Users can manage bookmarks, subscriptions, draft posts, attachments, etc.
  • ATOM feeds (like RSS) and more notification options
  • ... and most importantly, support for plugins ;)
More details available here.
Mark Hébert
bearmark
Beermeister

Renewed Interest

Post by bearmark »

I've been using Tapatalk actively for the past few weeks and it's really great! Having the freedom to monitor forums on my mobile allows for much more participation.

Any chance that our phpBB forum can be upgraded so that the Tapatalk plugin can be installed? I'd be willing to help.
Mark Hébert