Survey: Most Viewed Rums at the Project

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Survey: Most Viewed Rums at the Project

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Seeing - is it believing?

Every once in a while, actually a great while, I like to view the categories, just to see what rums, what posts are getting all the attention. I do believe that these are indicators of reputation, preference and/or interest. Here are the winners from the inception of The Rum Project to today...

1. Barbadian Style: Mount Gay Extra Old, 792 views. Am I surprised? Nope.

2. Jamaican Style: Cruzan Single Barrel", 961 views. Truth is, CSB barely makes the category. It has only a hint of dunder, and some might put this fine rum into the Demararan category. A close second was the expected Appleton Extra, 811 views. Based on CSB's unexpectedly high viewing, we did a quickie retaste. It still - barely - remains in the category. Is it the best representative? Not to me. But the public interest is undeniable and must be noted.

3. Cane Juice Style: Barbancourt Five Star, 940 views. A true world class rum receiving world class attention. This is blowing me away!

4. Demeraran Style: El Dorado 15 Year, 645 views. Yup, another of my named winners. I'm beginning to feel vindicated.

5. Cuban Style: Bacardi Reserva 8 Anos, 834 views. Finally, a surprise showing by an unexpected rum. Many think Bacardi doesn't belong in sipping circles. The 8 Anos may be an exception. My choice - the world class Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva was a close second at 765 views, and is the real category leader.

6. Twiggie's Tie Dye Rums: Vizcaya VXOP "Cask 21", 747 views. This was a closely contested category, with Vizcaya being closely followed (in order) by Pyrat Pistol (759), Pyrat XO (721), Zacapa 23 (706) and Angostura 1919 (701). It is interesting to note that Z23 no longer dominates, even among other heavily altered rums.

All well covered in the now infamous " Curse in a Verse debate", 700 views - a real head on confrontation between "It's all good" Kevin and Moi, an advocate of pure rum.

7. Black and Navy Rums: Cruzan Black Strap Rum, an astounding 958 views! I was not only surprised that BS rum not only ran away with this category, but that Pussers Blue Label and Sea Wynde scored as low as they did. However, it is well to note that BS is really a mixer. Among the true sippers in this category, Pusser's Blue Label came out first at 441 views. Whew!

8. Overproof: Wray & Nephew White Overproof" at a combined 880 views (W&N appeared in two categories, Overproof and Jamaican. An easy winner, since there was only one entry. Still W&N remains a highly respected world class rum, and at 880 views is second only to Barbancourt Five Star. Note that, and one day you must grow the cajones to actually sip this rum, if only with a few drops of water.

9. Spiced, Flavored and Post Prandial Rums: Barbancourt Pango, 866 views. A fine and unique product by an equally unique and respected distiller. Real flavors combined with a world class cane juice rum.

10. Political Post: A.O.C. Designation or Derogation?], 1051 views, the most viewed post at the Rum Project. This is one of the posts that led to my now infamous confrontation with Preacher Ed - one in which the Preacher was revealed and which further led me to leave his "...it's all good", sycophantic website. His loss, your gain.

The real honest truth is that the AOC, like WIRSPA represents the worst of the world of rum. Large and powerful organizations whose goals are protectionism and the exclusion of their many valid and dedicated competitors. Shame on them! The fact that this post is the most viewed gives me hope, as I have little doubt that tradition and truth will out.

That's it. I felt quite vindicated as my original selections of the top five reference standards - all world class - were confirmed by public interest and readership. There were two surprises - the Barcardi Reserva 8 Anos over my dear Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva. Although I do disagree, this is enough for me to purchase another bottle of the 8 Anos (I broke the first one) and to reevaluate this rum. And as noted, the Cruzan Single Barrel in the Jamaican category.

It is well to keep in mind that interest does not equal preference. Still, it is well to respect public interest. We do.

My sincere thanks to all who have spent time here, and who indirectly contributed to promoting all these fine rums. And congratulations to all the "winners".
patronsurveys
Landlubber

Re: Survey: Most Viewed Rums at the Project

Post by patronsurveys »

Thank you for the information. This survey is really helpful.