Happy Holidays!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Happy Holidays!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hi all...

BTW, the news of my demise is greatly exaggerated. I have been very busy selling my home and shopping for a good cruising sailboat, ergo my absence.

I sincerely wish all the regulars - without whom the Project wouldn't be nearly what it has become - I wish you all the very best and happy holidays.

We celebrate these holidays carefully, in view of the current state of politics and the world as we know, or knew it - nonetheless...

Up spirits...
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

Post by Mrspragoo »

Happy holidays to you as well. For what it's worth you are doing exactly as I plan to do in 8 years. I wish you great sailing, and wonderful adventures.
P.s. I prefer ketch rigged boats for greater choice of sail configs during off weather, and short handed sailing. They tend to be a bit slower but then again I'm not into racing to and fro either.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

We too are considering a ketch - saw an Allied Seawind II so equipped. I do like the idea of sail area divided for lower aspect, and easier sail handling, possible advantages in balancing the boat for differing conditions and headings.

OTOH, a low aspect cutter would be nice as well, and for about the same reasons - easy to reef the main, start by furling the genoa, or simply going to an already rigged staysail.

Your thoughts?
Mrspragoo
Cabin Boy

Post by Mrspragoo »

It really comes down to personal preference, and skill level I guess.

My wife and I are still in the learning stage and to this point we feel more comfortable being able to work the sails from the safety of the center cockpit on the ketch we have been learning on vs having to go forward to work the main as we do on the cutter we sail on.

Also we have found that the ketch seems to heel over much less than the cutter which also adds to our enjoyment.(it also lessens the chance to spill my rum).
RobBosman87
Greaser

Post by RobBosman87 »

Happy holidays to you too Jimbo and crew!
Cheers,

Rob
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks and Happy New Year to all...
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Happy New Years y'all! I find that my rum field narrows the more rum I drink. No time for the okay ones. Why bother? Now if I could just move to Barbados...
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

...took a leave of absence myself, enjoying a British summer and other vacation activities.

Bought a hell of a lot of rum too, I don't mind telling you all ;)

Happy belated holidays to everyone from me as well.