Can it get any worse Dept: Imported bulk resold as local!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Can it get any worse Dept: Imported bulk resold as local!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The company: Angostura...

...in a major violation of EU regs, Angostura is being audited and investigated for importing about $12M of bulk rum - and seems to be simply rebottling it, and representing it as "local" product.

Read the article, more later on this...
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20161203 ... for-export

A big thanks to member "Jamie" who emailed me this link.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The word is spread...

"Wrong Blend? Integrity of Trinidad Rum Called Into Question"

"Leading Trinidad and Tobago rum manufacturer Angostura is facing possible sanctions after the company’s Board of Directors uncovered “illegal” practices that raise serious doubt about the integrity of its rum products.

The rum company has been importing heavy rum concentrate (HRC) from Cuba and South America and repackaging it to Caribbean Community (CARICOM) neighbours without substantial changes, according to documents obtained by the Trinidad Express newspaper."
http://www.caribbean360.com/business/wr ... f-39363741
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

Is anyone really surprised? If you have tried their rums, you know that they are not of the pure unadulterated rum school. If Angostura is willing to add sugar and color and chill filter, it should not be surprising that they source rum elsewhere too.
'We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?’
‘Why?’
‘It saves time.’ -Terry Pratchett via The Last Continent
anax44
Greaser

Post by anax44 »

They totally missed the point and issued a statement shortly after saying that their age statements are accurate.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Angostura's rums are full of laboratory-designed quality and taste, sadly. It is disappointing as hell. :-(
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

One of the most disappointing lines of product I've ever tried. Gets worse the ''older'' the product gets. I read others thoughts on the 1824 and wonder are we talking about the same rum? If I didn't abhor waste,
I'd say that it is undrinkable. Scarlet Ibis comes from this distillery? Crazy!
‘Why?’
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Scarlet Ibis does not come from this distillery. It comes from the old Caroni factory in Trinidad. Caroni is no more and Ang. bought a large portion of their rum but a ton of it was also sold outside of Trinidad IIRC. Ang. has zero to do with Scarlet Ibis.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

I thought everything from Trinidad was Angostura owned?
‘Why?’
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

That's what Edpoe just told you. They OWN old Caroni stock. They didn't make it.

I bought one bottle of Angostura to check it out years ago. That's me done for life.
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

FWIW, according to Haus Alpenz, via Wes, Scarlet Ibis IS from Angostura and does not contain Caroni Rum.

http://thefatrumpirate.com/the-scarlet- ... inidad-rum
‘Why?’
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

"I then asked if any rum from the Caroni Distillery was present

'Caroni is long gone, and the island production is all owned by Angostura. That said, they have a very wide range of distillates, well beyond what you see labelled under their brand.'"

Sounds like he's saying that SOMETHING other than Angostura is in there, and he didn't say "There is no Caroni"

I have the feeling further that the Scarlet Ibis blend has not been constant over the years. When the Iris was started, there likely WAS 8yr Caroni available for the first blends.

It's a dark horse. I wouldn't like to lay a bet either way!
Nomad
Bo'sun

Post by Nomad »

I realize listening to someone from the PR department at H-A is a slippery slope, but it remains true that Ango is more likely than not, in some way, responsible for Scarlet Ibis. If SI has Caroni rum in it, wouldn't that be a selling point? To hide that fact... would be an incomprehensible marketing strategy.
‘Why?’
19Jamie76
Cabin Boy

Post by 19Jamie76 »

The Black Tot wrote:"I then asked if any rum from the Caroni Distillery was present

'Caroni is long gone, and the island production is all owned by Angostura. That said, they have a very wide range of distillates, well beyond what you see labelled under their brand.'"

Sounds like he's saying that SOMETHING other than Angostura is in there, and he didn't say "There is no Caroni"

I have the feeling further that the Scarlet Ibis blend has not been constant over the years. When the Iris was started, there likely WAS 8yr Caroni available for the first blends.

It's a dark horse. I wouldn't like to lay a bet either way!
If it's not Caroni then it must be from Fernandes which was bought by Angostura.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

"If SI has Caroni rum in it, wouldn't that be a selling point? To hide that fact... would be an incomprehensible marketing strategy."

Well... maybe, but maybe not. I spent a goodly number of years in both advertising, commercials, marketing and product positioning - and I respectfully disagree. It's like Ford saying they outsource their engine manufacture to Volkswagen (which may be a bad example, lol), you get the idea.

Angostura - has always promoted on the Z23 model - and super premiumized the same kind of drivel, "world's best" etc. And priced it to boot. I think it unlikely they'd admit using another distiller's product...
Blowgunner
Oscar

Post by Blowgunner »

Three CEOs in three years, scandals,adulteration and a new CEO Peter Sandström (exDiageo)...

"Local rum revenue grew by 8% or $6,4m as the market acceptance of new flavoured rum blends..."
Audited-Summary-Consolidated-Financials-of-AHL-March-31-2020