Put this in your glass: Evan Williams White Label BIB

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Put this in your glass: Evan Williams White Label BIB

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yup, Evan Williams White Label BIB Bourbon...

Or any other BIB for that matter. Most of you know what the fewer BIB's are, namely "Bottled in Bond". It all started with Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897, which was designed to fight against the cheap shite spirits of those olden day. To save my fingers, let's let the Wiki describe BIB.
"...the liquor must be the product of one distillation season (January to December) and one distiller at one distillery. It must have been aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 (U.S.) proof (50% alcohol by volume). The bottled product's label must identify the distillery where it was distilled and, if different, where it was bottled.[2] Only spirits produced in the United States may be designated as bonded."
Key words: 4 years old (or older), produced in one season by one distiller, stored under supervision, and bottled at 100 proof. No exceptions. And any spirit can be bonded. While BIB is common and known among bourbons, not a single rum today is bonded (and this includes Bacardi, whose interests in the USVI and PR would appear to qualify).

I offer this because this day I poured a dram of the EW at a guaranteed 4 years and 100 proof, with 2 tsp of filtered water and it was lovely, pure, well done, honestly aged and very, very enjoyable...

When - if ever - will rum and the producing countries "get it"? When will the ACR "get it"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottled_in_bond
edgarallanpoe
Quartermaster

Post by edgarallanpoe »

Amen
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

My folks drank Old Dover BiB - a leaky canteen of which @ a Catholic retreat got me booted from the Boy Scouts one badge short of Eagle.

On the other hand, I'm loving some of the things EW is doing. Their single barrel is a cheapskates choice for bourbon - rich, smooth and, oh yeah, cheap at $25!
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

sleepy wrote:On the other hand, I'm loving some of the things EW is doing. Their single barrel is a cheapskates choice for bourbon - rich, smooth and, oh yeah, cheap at $25!
I agree. Evan Williams Botttled-in-Bond is a bargain for sure, but Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage is a consistently good bourbon that is a bargain in it's own right and a significant step up from it's cheaper sibling. The extra 5-6 years really improve this whisky even at a slightly lower proof. Check out what Chuck Cowdery has to say about it. By the way, I believe the current vintage is 2006 (release Spring 2015), which would make it about 9 years old.

If you're near Kentucky, then you should try Heaven Hill's other bargain bonded bourbon... Heaven Hill 6 Year Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon for about $11. I think it's better than the Evan Williams White Label at about the same price, but it's not available nationally.

One thing's for sure... Heaven Hill produces some great bargain whiskey.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

For the price, the Evan Williams BIB is hard to beat, I can get it on sale for $12 around here in NC. The more aged 1783 (10 yrs vs 4 for the BIB) is also very good for just a couple bucks more. I like to use the BIB as a mixer due to the higher proof and the 1783 for daily sipping, and the single barrel when I want something a little better. The 7 yr old Black Label is also quite good but I tend toward the others in the line since it a bit of a tweener in proof, age and price.

Old Grand Dad BIB is decent - but a step up to the OGD 114 is a fantastic Bourbon, one of my favorites. Also only a small price increase from around $18-20 to $22-25 (last time I shopped for it.)
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Recently found this on sale for $20 a 1.75 - scooped up a case. Damn good juice particularly at the price. IMHO the best of all the "bourbon poured through a charcoal column" whiskies out there.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

sailor22 wrote:Recently found this on sale for $20 a 1.75 - scooped up a case. Damn good juice particularly at the price. IMHO the best of all the "bourbon poured through a charcoal column" whiskies out there.
Are you referring to the Lincoln County Process for Tennessee whisky? Evan Williams White Label is a true bourbon and isn't processed through a charcoal filter.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Your correct - Somehow I got it in mind that they charcoal filtered EW and apparently they don't.