Greetings from London.

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
four bells
Oscar

Greetings from London.

Post by four bells »

Hi scallywags,

I' ve always enjoyed a chaser with my beer, or sip a bottle at home when I'm smoking, or to complement a black coffee.
A few months ago I went into a Wetherspoons (they are a chain group of pubs here in the UK that serve a large selection of beers and spirits at low prices). They had a new rum on the menu which was more expensive than all the other spirits, so I tried the Zacapa 23 Solera and thought it was the best drink in the world, even better than Kraken Spiced!
After a few weeks of chasing them I was starting to find it too sweet,and so I went back to cognac chasers
One day I decided to google Zacapa and read the reviews, a lot of the people mentioned that they preferred the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.
While walking along in central London, I went inside this vintage wine and spirits shop and lo and behold, they had the Zacapa there. When I asked to buy it the shopkeeper strongly recommended that I buy the DRE Which I did.
What a dissapointment this turned out to be, it was even sweeter than the Zacapa! I should say here that I do not touch sugar at all, I find it sickly so have honey with my cereals.
Anyway, one day I was surfing (again......) and capsized onto this site and had my eyes opened. I wasn't going to join in initially, as I am not much of one for typing(I know wot it looks like)ha ha, what swayed me was one of the good captains stickeys about having his soul stolen by us unknown trollers who do not contribute to anything. I immediately sympathised with him as it is not a very nice feeling, I also liked a lot of the posts by what seems to be a very interesting crew.

So far I've tried 12 rums and these 3 have been exceptional.

1 Penny blue XO batch number 4
this is my favourite, every time I drank it the flavours and enjoyment increased.

2 Doorlys XO
Wot more can I say!

3 Mount Gay XO
At first I was in heaven, but as the bottle went down so did my opinion because I can taste the sweetness from the barrel aging process. If it was not for that, it would be my number 1. I am still going to get another bottle though.

Well guys, from my experimenting, I'm discovering that I prefer a dry rum aged between 5-10 years, any longer and the natural sugars seem to appear.

Cheerio for now.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Lovely and long post, thank you and welcome. I don't know about the Penny Blue, but your other choices are well regarded on these pages.

I must say that the volume of posts has dropped since we made the decision to sell our home and buy a cruising sailboat (traveling all over Florida and a couple other states).

Nonetheless, all is alive and well, and The Project is the largest free and independent forums for rum afficianados - still receiving hundreds of thousands of monthly hits, and many thousands of truly informative posts.

Welcome...
four bells
Oscar

Post by four bells »

There was a 10,000 bottle release of Penny Blue batch#4 a few years ago which has sadly all gone now. They have just released batch#5 in Mauritius now where their distillery is, and will be available worldwide soon. The ageing will be mostly in cognac barrels this time instead of whiskey, correct me if I'm wrong, but that tells me that this batch will have a sweeter character to it.
pennyblue.com has some excellent info on it.

I was going to buy the flore de cana 7 to try today, but I have just found about a dozen bottles of batch#4 left on amazon.co.uk, mine should arrive in the next few days. What will be the best place in the forum to review it?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

As for FdC, many of these were reviewed in the Demeraran section:

http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewforum.php?f=5

You could add to an existing thread, start a new one, or put something up in Scuttlebutt, your choice of course, no worries...