Review: La Aroma de Cuba Wavell Robusto

Is a smoke (Rudyard Kipling). Smoking has been around since the beginning of time but insofar as more recent times the home of both rum and cigars - a wonderful combination - remains the Caribbean. If you can't find a Cuban, you might try an expatriate smoke like one from Gran Papi Rodriguez and Family in Key West.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: La Aroma de Cuba Wavell Robusto

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And yet another: La Aroma de Cuba Wavell Maduro

It was a glorious night back in my old hometown of Ft. Lauderdale - mid 70's, clear sky, lovely half moon - just begging for me to sit by the pool with a couple mini's of Jack Daniel's Black Label and find a decent cigar. A quick lookup on the net found a nearby cigar bar with a half decent (I stress half) selection of mostly overpriced cigars (a typical collection) when...

I ran across this La Aroma de Cuba Robusto Wavell Maduro, 5x50 and dark as night. These are made by Fuente for Ashton - Nicaraguan with a Connecticut dark, dark wrapper, all allegedly aged. Fair price, under $6 most place.

After all, I wasn't being picky - the lovely night was almost enough by itself. Also the "cigar bar" was under construction, and it wasn't clear the open displays and room were properly humidified.

The Wavell presented as VERY firm, almost hard. At first I thought, aha, this room must be dry. But it was late, what the heck, I bought it, returned to the pool, poured a few shots of JD and had at it.

What a surprise!

Although like other firm packs I have tried it was a bit hard to toast and light properly with ordinary wooden matches, a successful and even light was accomplished, and for the most part continued.

Great maduro flavor, you know what I mean, and consistent. The real surprise? I have never had any cigar which retained its ash not for an inch... not for two inches... but for an honest three inches! I even had to remove the low placed band. And even more surprising - and unlike most of us - I was not being careful as I really didn't care how long this growing ash would be retained.

But it stayed - and so did the wonderful and consistent flavor. Nice smooth light peppery retrohale, nice sweet leafy maduro from start to finish. I quit only before the nub, only because I was satisfied and did not care to push the limits. I could have.

In sum, at least this one was superb and from what i can glean, available in the $5-6 range. Recommended - highly. It's medium full.