Rum Review: Ron Anejo Cacique Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Ron Anejo Cacique (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Anejo Cacique Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Anejo Cacique Rum: "Sassy Young Classic Rum"

Let's face it. As immune to marketing as I oughta be, sometimes we avoid buying a rum based on both price and shelf position. Be honest - when's the last time you really looked longingly at the bottom shelf? And most of the time you'd be right: a bottom shelf rum belongs there.

But not always.

I think of Ron Viejo de Caldas 3 Year. A rum so low that even the label is wrong. Marked as "made from molasses" when it fact it's from concentrated sugar cane juice. So low that the few snobs and their sycophants that actually tasted the rum couldn't figure out the unusual profile - not least the Preacher, a cane juice rep who really oughta know better.

Ron Anejo Cacique is yet another.

Made under the watchful wallet of corporate conquistador Diageo in Venezuela, Cacique shows the usual corporate marketing influence: a sleek, old world meets new world shape, triangular label and lower shelf plastic twist off cap. Believe me, I managed to avoid this one for almost two years.

Still, it finally comes to the point where you've tasted everything else, then anything left that looks even slightly better than the true bottom shelf denizens is fair game. Basta! The reviews:

Sue Sea:
I rather liked the Cacique new/old world bottle and its modern label featuring what seems a golden reproduction of a Carib Indian head (did his cohorts eat the rest of him?). To be fair, Jim and I weren't expecting much, and we quickly poured a couple shots into our favorite tasting glasses.

We had no illusions that this was a younger rum, so we let it air for a good amount of time. I should remind you that we have almost always found that no rum should be finally evaluated until you get down to at least the shoulders of the bottle. A fresh pour simply tastes different. With time here's what I found:

My first impression was the aroma of leather over a bit of vanilla and a medium citrus orange. Very classic. The early palate does not disappoint with a melt-in-your-mouth vanilla, honey caramel and a wisp of the orange. With the middle palate I experienced emerging spices and heat: sweet ginger, like a gingerbread, which then starts to ignite into a warm black and white pepper finish that also reflects the front sweetness.

I found Ron Anejo Cacique to be extremely well balanced and consistent. It develops as a proper rum should. I loved its youth and innocence - energetic, hot and playful, sassy and lively. Cacique is not for wimps or for those who prefer sweetened faux rums. It has all the expected tastes and impressions of a classic but youthful rum.

Very nice.

Me:

Sue Sea and I are in complete accord on this one. Ron Anejo Cacique is a beautiful clear light amber/dark gold, brilliant and attractive with thin, quick legs. In tasting rums, I tend to start nosing high and work in, discovering the emerging aromas. The Cacique expresses a lovely high light vanilla honey. Going deep pulls out leather and a light alcohol prickle.

The early palate is entire consistent with a smooth light honey. It does not take long for a growing sweet heat to emerge into a rousing hot white pepper chest finish. Indeed we could have just as easily placed this rum into the Cuban category, and we just might do that.

For the modest price of $15 (which leads to a lower shelf position) Ron Anejo Cacique borders on being a best buy, buddy. And buddettes. A great entry for all those who want to learn to appreciate real rums. Cacique is a consistent and well-balanced young classic rum that is very sippable and can hold its own.

Score (10 is best): solid 7.