Rum Review: Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!

How do you rate Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum?

No votes
60%
40%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 5

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum: "Real Rum, Pure and Simple"

In time you will come to understand that rum is impure more than it is pure. And that much of the faux complexity comes to us courtesy of the taste engineers. Caramel beyond coloring, hidden sugar, artificial vanilla, liquid "spices" like clove and so on. To the point that a profitable cheap, young, continuously distilled and relatively undistinguished rum can be caused to taste like an well-aged expensive, pot-stilled flavorful rum.

And sold at premium prices. Think the Zee rums.

Some of the distillers even admit it in interviews, like 1 Barrel and Ron del Barillito, chock full of unlabeled flavors, yet still proudly labeled pure "rum" in defiance of the accepted laws of the European Union, the United States and all the member of the Association of Caribbean States - which is just about all the rum producing countries in the region.

Pooh.

Thus the Preacher's wet dream of "rum, the noble spirit" is little more than a stain on his flowing orange silk robe. That's about as mixed up as the myth that "mixers" are somehow distinguished from "sippers". We are led to believe that mixers are lacking in ways that (a) require them to be mixed with soft drinks, hidden by abominable amounts of sugar, lime and many other ingredients, (b) such that they deserve lower shelf placement not already dominated by Bacardi and the house brands, yet (c) are strangely good enough that they enhance the end product mixed drink, and finally - now delivered at (d) now high mixed-drink prices.

Huh?!

That's all bullshit. Or horseshit. Or Shillery monkeyshit. The truth is just the opposite. Yes, there are some really nasty, really cheap house brands that really need to be covered up. They add alcohol to the drink but little else. At the same time the real originators of rum mixed drinks made it clear that these mixed drinks demanded the use of only the very best aged "sipping rums". I refer here to Don the Beachcomber (Don Beach, formerly Ernest Gantt), founder of the Tiki movement - and his arch enemy, Trader Vic Bergeron (who claimed credit for the orginal "Mai Tai". Both were brilliant madmen who spent their lives experimenting and concocting all manner of amazing and revered rum drinks. And both insist that only the best rums be used as "mixers"

Here's the truth. Many good young rums that are called "mixers" are actually fine sippers. Let's consider Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum. The reviews:

Sue Sea:
Our exposure to Mount Gay Eclipse was quite by accident. We are not much fans of mixed drinks; is this because so many are made with lesser mixing rums? A couple of weeks ago we were sitting near the beach at Fort Lauderdale's famous Port Everglades. We always bring a cooler with a couple of Guiness Extra Stout for me, and a can or two of coconut water for Jim. Ice cold and refreshing. On this day Jim happened to have a flask with some leftover Mount Gay Extra Old - on a complete whim he poured some in the coconut water and voila!

A truly magnificent rum mixed drink. Honestly, the MGXO made the difference and we both became fully aware of its complexity and beauty shining through the coconut water. It was simply delicious.

On another day we were sitting at the Aruba Cafe, located literally on the sands and next to a fishing pier. Jim ordered a Pina Colada but was not impressed, so he inquired as to what rums were available. We knew we were in trouble when the waiter said his top shelf rums were Bacardi Anejo and Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum. Jim, desperate for a sipping rum, bit his lip and ordered the Eclipse straight up in a nice snifter and said "I'd have never bought it, but here we are, here it is, let's review it!".

So we did, not really expecting much. After all, Eclipse was just a mixer, right?

To my great surprise the Eclipse opened with a nice light leather, oak, molasses, a bit of cane, and a honeyed vanillan. The smooth honey carried through to the early palate, followed by the vanillan and a late warm clove. The finish was shorter but nicely hot - a lovely clove. Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum left a lingering impression of the entire experience.

"A real rum" I exclaimed to Jim, and he agreed. This rum is wonderfully balanced, completely consistent, and with no one element overdone. We lingered and tasted, and the Eclipse kept growing on me, truly enjoyable. This is a fine young rum that I could not recommend more, particular at its "mixer" prices. Eclipse is a perfect example of a well made young rum that displays all the typical elements of a real and pure rum.

Frankly, the qualities that made it so enjoyable might also be lost in a heavily mixed drink. I think the Eclipse would be an excellent party rum and a pleasant daily sipper.
Me:

Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum is indeed a brilliant clear gold with an unusual deep yellow edge and relatively fast legs. In terms of the review Sue Sea has taken my fire, so I won't be repetitive. We are in complete agreement, with the exception that the sweet honey clove led my nosing, followed by a deep nosing of an alcohol prickle, and a high hint of vanillan. Like Sue Sea the palate led with a smooth honey, with a slowly growing sweet heat, culminating in a nice, nice hot black pepper finish with a long, fading clove aftertaste.

Mount Gay has been making fine rum longer than any other distiller and it shows. Barbadian rums are a class apart and deservedly so. Eclipse is well balanced, light, consistent, interesting and smooth. A must buy, and for its sipping qualities. A new rum drinker would do well to begin with Eclipse to learn what a real rum, pure and simple, tastes like.

Score (10 is best): Sue Sea - 8, Jimbo - 7.5.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Many of the chain restaurants around here seem to have about 5 rums on their shelves: Craptain Morgan (not a typo), Malibu Coconut, Bacardi Silver, Myers Dark, and Mount Gay Eclipse. Under those circumstances, you bet its a sipper! And I love the horrified looks I get from the bartenders.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

This is the most commonly available "drinkable" rum, but is far better with a bit of tonic and lime. For that, Doorly's 5 at half the price is far better. But, what RT said...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Indeed...

No arguments re Doorly's Five, but then again although its not stated, I'd guess the Eclipse is probably a few years younger. Both Eclipse and Appleton's V/X are not appreciated for sipping. Funny about the bartenders - over at eGullet, Eclipse is appreciated as a sipper.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I can get Eclipse for about £16 which is good for the UK. I do like it with coke or Ginger Ale as my normal Tuesday night Rum which is Eclipes, Havana Club Especial or Appleton's Reserve which is what I had last night. Appleton's makes a gorgeous Rum and Coke.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Jack
Oscar

Post by Jack »

I respect the entire line of Mount Gay, from my workhorse Eclipse to my special occasion Extra Old. I prefer rums of Barbados over any other, not to say that I don't enjoy lots of different kinds of rums, and some I simply cannot do without. There are Bajan rums I haven't tasted, because I live in a state proven difficult for intrastate trade, let alone international (I usually drive to Chicago).
thefatrumpirate

Post by thefatrumpirate »

Dai wrote:I can get Eclipse for about £16 which is good for the UK. I do like it with coke or Ginger Ale as my normal Tuesday night Rum which is Eclipes, Havana Club Especial or Appleton's Reserve which is what I had last night. Appleton's makes a gorgeous Rum and Coke.
Cockspur 5 star Fine Rum is the best "gold mixing rum" I've found in our dear supermarkets.

It's criminally underrated IMO
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

thefatrumpirate wrote:
Dai wrote:I can get Eclipse for about £16 which is good for the UK. I do like it with coke or Ginger Ale as my normal Tuesday night Rum which is Eclipes, Havana Club Especial or Appleton's Reserve which is what I had last night. Appleton's makes a gorgeous Rum and Coke.
Cockspur 5 star Fine Rum is the best "gold mixing rum" I've found in our dear supermarkets.

It's criminally underrated IMO
Yep can't beat cockspur on price but leaves a lot to be disired in the taste department compared to other rums. Keep an eye out in Aldi, sometimes they have some cuban rum (Ron Mulata) in for £15, worth getting.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition