Question: Is Seagram's Brazilian Rum Cachaça?

This category practically demanded by here again, gone again KM. Although I'm not ready to give Cachaça its own style, I am willing to accomodate. Chef, RIP: when you were good you were brilliant, but when you were bad, whew...
DEF
Cabin Boy

Question: Is Seagram's Brazilian Rum Cachaça?

Post by DEF »

Picked up a bottle of Seagram's Smooth Brazilian Rum today for $9.10. It has an unusual smell and taste that I have had before but can't quite place. Moonshine maybe? Tasted it straight and with lime and a little turbonado simple syrup. I really like this stuff. Am I crazy?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

As only a Compleat Idiot would observe...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

In a word, yes. Or no.

A great question! It is fair to say that this cachaca, er rum, has fostered debate among the usual "experts", including the Preacher who insists it is not cachaca.

He hides behind his orange robe and technicalities.

Here's the deal (covered in this section's first post). According to Brazilian law "cachaca" is distilled from fresh cane juice at 38-54%, and bottled at 38-48%. It may contain up to 6 grams of sugar per liter (not much), or 0.6%. Here's where it get's sticky (and I don't mean the sugar). Seagram's calls their product Brazilian Rum for two reasons:

1. It is intended for the American market where "cachaca" may be interpreted as "huh?" or "don't buy me".

2. Although it is bottled within the regulations (at 40% abv or 80 proof), according to Seagram's it is distilled at 55% (just barely over the upper limit of 54%).

In other words and for any conceivable and practical purposes, Seagram's Brazilian Rum may be considered cachaca. Put another way, if "cachaca" were sex, Seagram's would be pregnant...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEF
Cabin Boy

Post by DEF »

I will try it with more lime, muddled per your suggestion Jimbo. I like it when a plan comes together. This was a fun experiment.