Rum Review: Flor de Cana Black Label Five (5) Year Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Flor de Cana Black Lable Five (5) Year (five is best)?

No votes
67%
33%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Flor de Cana Black Label Five (5) Year Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Flor de Cana Five (5) Year Rum: "When a Year makes a difference"

At one of my college jobs I worked in a laboratory with an older technician from Italy. He was suave, sophisticated, had that remarkable Italian accent and most impressive - he knew how to get laid and I didn't. This of course, made him my idol.

As he put it - forgive me ladies - "...there is nothing like the aroma of young...". No doubt he was a connoiseur of tasting fine young rum as well. And like young women a year can make a significant difference (btw, you won't find this review on the Flor de Cana website. Though you should). Our review found the Four Year a reasonable "light sipper", scoring about "5" (scale of ten).

With just an additional year, the Five Year did notably better.

Sue Sea:
We have never been disappointed with any of Flor de Cana's products. The Four Year is staple and we always have a 1.5 liter in the food locker for mixing. We own the seven, twelve and eighteen year as well and have done a couple of Jim's "smackdowns" with them. So I was pleased to see present the Flor de Cana Black Label Five Year rum for review.

The Five Year's bottle is a treat. I love the classic rectangular bottle, with modestly rounded shoulders, the usual Flor de Cana neck talker and featuring a black label with lovely faux gold lettering and a nice dark red "5" in the center. Very reminiscent of a nice cigar label, very nice.

Flor de Cana Black Label Five Year opens with a deep orange leather. A high nosing reveals the classic rum orange, really an orange marmalade with a hint of vanillan. The Five Year's palate entry is Flor de Cana honey smooth and sweet, and then moves into the orange and with a smoothly increasing heat, and ends with a nice clove/cinnamon heat. The finish is hot and short.

In sum, I found Flor de Cana Black Label Five Year to be very well done, balanced and a true five year product, honest and authentic. It is a good middle of the road rum. Please don't get me wrong, this rum is not bad, not bad at all but it is certainly not exceptional.

Solid and sippable.
Me:

For some years now I have avoided reviewing the Flor de Cana Black Label Five Year Rum. Why? Simple: here in south Florida it sells for the same price as the Seven Year (about $19) and I just didn't see the point. As you will see later, there may indeed be a good reason to consider it.

Like all their products the Flor de Cana Black Label Five Year is a smooth, quality rum. On first nosing I encountered a slight alchohol prickle (of no real consequence). The Five Year presents a high (nosing) fruit - orange - over a deep orangey leather. The early palate was lovely, smooth and sweet, honey orange, which became deeper and dryer as it moved into a late astringent leather. The finish was a short black pepper. There was no aftertaste to speak of.

Solid and smooth, but naturally I felt obligated to bring out the Seven, then the Twelve, and finally the Eighteen. We have finally learned our lesson from the top tasters, most of whom recommend never tasting any spirit alone. A comparison with a reference standard that you know and love will be of great value, and reveal the true aspect of the new rum.

And so it was here. The Seven revealed more complexity, more citrus and had a much more buttery palate. The Twelve and Eighteen were progressively deeper and smoother. And once again we agreed that Flor de Cana's great asset: smoothness and unified balance may also be its greatest failing: they border on blandness. Great rums for those that wish not to be challenged.

In comparison, in its relative youth the Five Year is a bit choppy. But that's not the real news!

After repeated tastings of all four, Sue made an astonishing discovery! At a point she she found the Five tasted like the Twelve, and the Seven more like the Eighteen. The difference: the 5/12 were deeper and more leathery. The 7/18 exhibited more citrus. I wondered whether we are dealing with two different blends here - a speculation or conclusion that I have yet to find anywhere.

If so, it accounts for the pricing and even the need for a five year in the first place. It would account for its handsome bottle and sophisticated labeling, And if so, Sue Sea must be acclaimed as a very astute taster. Is she?

Stay tuned...