Rum Review: Voyant Chai Cream Liqueur

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate Voyant Chai Cream Liqueur (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
Unrated, but tasty
100%

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Voyant Chai Cream Liqueur

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Voyant Chai Cream Liqueur: "Ooh Eee Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang..."

Yes, I know you're asking yourself "WTF is Capn Jimbo, Mr. Purity, doing reviewing flavored rums, much less a cream liqueur?" A good question which of course I anticipated (after all I'm the one composing this review and you're not). There are two answers: first, that this product accompanied one of the very few freebies I have ever accepted; and second, that it's rum-flavored tea (legally sold as a "cream liqueur" - a category of absolutely no interest to me).

Now the other day when I felt a sore throat coming on, Sue Sea rushed to fix me a couple of cups of chai-type tea, to which I added a nice shot of Uncle Jack. And it worked. I think. In Asia the word "chai" simply means tea, but has come to be marketed to Americans as "masala chai", a blend of tea and exotic Indian spices. In Asia street vendors called "chaiwallahs" (...walla, walla, bing bang) prepare their "chai" or tea by simmering it in water (unlike Americans who steep tea in a rapidly cooling cup of hot water). "Masala chai" there is made by simmering a blend of milk, tea, sweeteners and whole (yes, real) spices.

And no Daniels, Jack! Starbucks sells a "chai latte", which is coffee to which is added some spiced tea. Ugh!

But authentic "masala chai" (or chai tea here) is really rather interesting, with the sole difference being that the spice used here - no surprise - are largely artificial. Got it? Of course you do, and now I can introduce Voyant Chai, imported from Holland and made with fresh Dutch cream, blended with rum, steeped tea and spices, and pure vanilla. The importer makes much of the "genuine spices" and "pure vanilla" which, like The Lash Spiced Rum, may exhibit traces and sedimentation from same.

Like finding a worm in your Tequila. But I digress - here's the review by Sue Sea, the Spice Queen:

Sue Sea:
Voyant Chai is different beginning with its tall orange bottle featuring molded-in Indian designs and the name, with "Voyant Chai" simply centered on the bottle. Of course this is meant to look classy and expensive, although we have no idea what this product sells for. Voyant's aromo is of a nutty cream, with very little sense of rum. It's taste was delicious: of chai tea (which I drink), and tones of coffee, chocolate, mixed spices and possibly even a touch of licorice. It leaves a lingering, creamy sweet spicy aftertaste. In a rum I'd call this cloying - in a cream liqueur this is exactly what you seek and enjoy.

Very nice.
Me: I have little to add other than I also found a bit of sweet chocolate in the aroma, and a very light clove finish. Cream liqueurs are not my cup of tea (sorry, lol), but I found Voyant Chai interesting and unique in the same sense as say, Wray & Nephews Rum Cream (which tastes of mango). Most cream liqueurs seem to taste like Baileys, that is about the same and accordingly, are quite boring.

Not Voyant Chai. Nice effort.

Rating (ten is best): no rating, but recommended.