First Ever Canadian Whisky Awards: 2010

The Rum Project is non-commercial and proudly so. Still occasions arise when a commercial plug is in order. But unlike the other rum bozos, my plugs will be (a) few and (b) deserved and (c) made crystal clear. Live with it.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

First Ever Canadian Whisky Awards: 2010

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ever heard of a guy named Davin de Kergommeaux?

Neither did I, but this plug is a direct result of an email request from the Artic Wolf - prostrate and covering his furry head with his paws, and making the most godawful whining noises until I'd had quite enough - and finally agreed to post his buddy's link.

Actually it wasn't that way at all.

This all came about after I'd posted at the Wolf's blog regarding his plug for something called the Canadian Whisky Awards, and where he - as a loyal mounted Canadian, gushed on regarding what he considered a "world class" spurt, er spirit. I replied:
Certainly awards – determined honestly and in an unbiased manner – have great value.

Still, and with all due respect, I find it difficult to call any spirit “world class” when it is mostly continuously distilled, often blends rye with a neutral spirit, sometimes adds corn, wheat, barley and bourbon type whiskies for flavor, and is permitted to add copious amounts of sherry and even fruit juice for flavoring and smoothing, and is aged in previously used barrels.

Still, it is good if an honest comparision to other such mixtures can be made, however difficult in view of the wide variation in composition.
Forgive me. I did hesitate, but when I learned that Davin is a long time Malt Maniac's judge, it was a no brainer as I'd have posted it anyway. Well, maybe.

Davin de Kergommeaux (can anybody say that ten times fast?) is the founder and chief bottle washer of a website he named "Canadianwhiskey.Org". You'll find his first ever Canadian Whisky Awards there as well.

But first allow me my usual digression.

Here's the deal. Canada's healthcare system and topography are wonderful - seriously - and they simply love their Canadian Whisky. Even the French Canadians are known to take a dram while looking down their noses when, uh, nosing it. So naturally, whatever "Canadian Whiskey" really is, it IS a point of national pride.

Like margaritas in Key West, or as Davin puts it "...what smoked eel is to a Dutchman, ouzo to a Greek, sauerkraut a German, lambic beer a Belgian, Cognac a Frenchman, or vegemite to an Australian". Or like Spam to Monty Python. The Arctic Wolf, another Canadian, would like to think this Canadian concoction is "world class".

I don't. But I sure understand the passion. It's like "world class" moose meat - you know, like the one that Sara Palin just shot for her "reality show" - amazingly without even disturbing her perfect hairdo or immaculate fingernails! Of course I'd expect the The Frozen One to loudly disagree, reprimanding us that Canada and moose go together like Canada and, uh, Canadian Whiskey. Or like Elton John and Johnny Mathis, lol.

No matter.

As Davin also puts it "...many drinks writers dabble in Canadian whisky but I am the only one focused on writing seriously and credibly about Canadian whisky anywhere in the world". He's right. Although he appears in Dave Broom's wonderful new World Atlas of Whisky (and contributed the chapter), Canadian Whisky accounts for only 6 spirits of the more than 350 presented there. Canada gets about the same attention as the whiskies of Taiwan and India. In other words...

Not many and not much.

Still, in reading Davin's bio (linked above), I am impressed. I know what it's like to be a lone voice speaking out for an unrecognized spirit or position. As he does for Canadian Whisky, I do for purity and authenticity in rum. I also learned that this kinda non-commercial reviewer (he does get paid now and again, and reprints news releases) evaluates his Canadian Whisky as follows:

1. His reviews are based on several tastings.

2. Although he will occasionally add water to 50/50, he prefers tasting at bottle strength. He often leaves an empty glass out overnight to pick up key leftover aromas and - surprise - reports the results.

3. He uses a 5 star system, in 1/2 star increments. A good mixing whisky gets 3 stars, a "stellar" whisky gets 5 stars.

4. He quotes the bottle for age (hope there's not Zacapa CW up there), and local retail prices.

Good stuff, a man and method I can respect, despite his somewhat obtuse descriptions and frequent findings of "pickle juice" (but then I recall, he's a malt maniac, he's a Malt Maniac). And his first ever "awards" apparently reflect these. Check em out (Canadian Whisky Awards)... with Davin leading the way, Canadian Whisky may yet gain more recognition in this world.

Note to Davin and his pet Wolf: this is actually a positive recommendation. Keep in mind that this, like all my other ridiculous posts, is the work of a - The - Compleat Idiot, where up is down, right is left, and Canadian Whiskey is a "world class" spirit.