Dilution Formula/Tasting: adding water to Overproofs

It's tea time ladies, grab yer mugs! Drink it fast or sip it slow. About glasses, how ta crook yer pinkie, nosing and tasting techniques and equipment. May your cup - and your women - be bottomless!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Dilution Formula/Tasting: adding water to Overproofs

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When tasting, should you add water to overproofs?

In short, no. Or yes.

In tasting spirits, particularly single malts (but also some rums) occasionally you will run across some real overproofs. This creates the problem of "alcohol shock" and the inability to "get" all the aromas and flavors inherent in your dram.

Still, it's our policy to taste a spirit just the way it comes out of the bottle, particularly if the spirit is only slightly overproof, say 85 or 90 proof. Still there are some rums like Wray & Nephews Overproof (120) or Smith & Cross Jamaican Rum (114).

These two can be a shock to the system and really do require a bit of water.

Our solution with W&N and S&C was to take careful, tiny and uncritical sips - you need to get over the early shock, and this may take a few sips. We then started dripping some water into our glasses, swirling to mix and then renoting the effects. You'd be surprised just how much water is appropriate.

Now there are some skilled whisky tasters that swear that it's important to taste all spirits at 40% (80 proof) for fair comparisons. To make this easier here's a formula to calculate how much water to add:

Amount: for 1 oz.
(Proof x 29.6) / 80 - 29.6 = milliliters to add

For a half ounce, of course, merely halve this amount.

In sum, start neat at full strength, then add literally a few drops (even this tiny amount will reveal many aromas). To add larger amounts of water I suggest buying a 3 milliliter (3cc) syringe.

Purists use distilled water, Compleat Idiots use tap water, Preachers simply convert wine to water...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Still confused? I am...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Still confused? I am...

After rereading the above blather some months later, I realized just what a Compleat Idiot I can be. Like any of us are gonna write the fuckin formula on a shred of paper and carry it around in the zipper pocket of our wallets (or purse in the case of the Preacher). I thought there must be an easier way.

And there was.

After agonizing minutes of deep concentration, and with the able assistance of my handy dandy conversion program, here it is...

1. An ounce of booze is 6 teaspoons.

2. For every ten proof over 80 proof, add 3/4 teaspoon of water (to bring it down to 80 proof (but not all at once).
But don't add this all at once! Here's why:

1. You're not making a mixed drink here, and the primary objective is NOT to dilute the overproof spirit.

2. The primary objective IS to release flavors and to find the "sweet spot" insofar as evaluating (and enjoying) the spirit. A few drops may well do this.

This is why I suggest you obtain a 3 or 5 milliliter (3-5cc) syringe (purchased at the drugstore, unless you're a nurse or MD - then just steal one). For a 90 proof, draw up 3.7 ml of water, then add say one milliliter at a time.

Come to think of it, why not just buy a one milliliter/cc syringe. Yeah, that's it!

Capn's Special Note: If you've ever watched Ralfy - who often drinks barrel proof whiskies in the 90 proof range - after an initial tasting, just tosses in a teaspoon of water and has at it. Other qualified tasters really do start adding water in drops.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I put this in Smith and Cross review but may help for it to be here as well.

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute

Equation is

Multiply the amount of spirits you have by (strong/weak) - 1

EG; 30ml x ((57/43)-1)= 9.767 or rounded up to nearest whole = 10 ml
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:I put this in Smith and Cross review but may help for it to be here as well.

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute

Equation is

Multiply the amount of spirits you have by (strong/weak) - 1

EG; 30ml x ((57/43)-1)= 9.767 or rounded up to nearest whole = 10 ml
Gotcha for me this would be a 35ml measure and two teaspoons of water to bring it down to roughly 80% or so.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition