JaRiMi brief review: Brugal 1888 Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!
JaRiMi
Admiral

JaRiMi brief review: Brugal 1888 Rum

Post by JaRiMi »

I recently tasted Brugal's new 1888 rum.

According to Brugal sources, this is a blend of rums aged between 5 - 14 years...pls read the sales pitch below:

"In celebration of the 120 years of experience of a family that boasts five generations of master rum makers, Brugal Rum presented its was presented the premium Brugal 1888 Limited Edition.

The product was launched at an event held in the Ozama Fortress, where the renowned Spanish mixologist Juan Carlos Muñoz Zapatero was inspired by personalities from the world of film and fashion to create exclusive cocktail with this rum. The rum was introduced by Gustavo Ortega, representative of the fifth generation of master rum makers of the family and the youngest of all, who described the qualities of the exquisite drink, which has been defined as a masterpiece of the art of distillation.

The expert noted that Brugal 1888 was created from mixtures of rums aged for periods from 5 to 14 years, which were first aged in American white oak barrels and then in Spanish oak barrels. Ortega explained, “We have achieved a unique combination with which we have been able to achieve the desired effect and the perfect balance.”

Source: http://repeatingislands.com/2011/04/28/ ... tradition/

Without going too deeply into details, I enjoyed this rum. No idea how "pure" it is, but the taste was quite a difference when compared to other Brugal rums I've tasted. This one seemed "genuine", i.e. it was dry (much more so than other Brugal rums), and tasted quite lovely, with oaky tannins there in the mix, along with fruity notes, vanilla and sherried raisiny tones. Very balanced flavour I feel.

This rum doesn't cost an arm & a leg (38 GBP in a well-known UK store in London), and it in my humble opinion beats most of the latin "super-premium" rums 6-0. If you like super-sweet additive rums, you will probably find this way too dry, and - ahem - rum-like.

For me - well, the first Brugal I really like (others I've rated somewhat anonymous "sweet nothings - good for cocktails"). Well heck, it looks like rum, it tastes like rum - whaddaya know, these guys CAN make RUM! ;-)

I was drinking it side by side with Appleton's 21yo, and couldn't really say immediately which I like better. Don't trust my opinion though, do your own tasting pls.

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

How did I miss this?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A bit about Brugal...

First though, thanks to JaRiMi - one of my long, favorite rum authorities on the net. Like him, we are not big fans of the previous Brugals, specifically the Anejo and Extra Anejo, albeit for different reasons.

I recently reviewed the Brugal website and learned that their rums are, of course, molasses-based and leave the still at a maxed out 95% abv, quite thin and high even for a column-based product.

Their "light rums" are aged from 1 to 2 year, medium from 2 to 5 years, and heavy rums from 5 to 8 years. This new offering is alleged to be aged from 5 to 14 years, and can be expected to be in the "sweet spot" (7 to 10 years) for most tropically aged rums. Still, it is obvious this rum gains its flavors from the oak, and not from distillation. It is notable that this rum is finished in sherry barrels like the old Doorlys' XO, and Dos Maderas - and the new Diplomatico Ambassador.

Thanks to Richard Seale who pioneered sherry finishing of rums quite some years ago. It was impossible not to note that Brugal prefers to credit The Macallan single malt whiskey for this "innovation".

I'll take JaRiMi at his word regarding its authentic dry presentation - we look forward to finding a bottle. Thanks for the heads up...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Any more info on this one? I see it on Total wine's site in Atlanta for $45, which is substantially less than 38 GBP, so was considering having my friend pick up a bottle for me.

Capn's Log: If JaRiMi likes it, run - don't walk - to buy one. He has one of the finer palates on the internet.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Using the Swedish site posted elsewhere, I looked up 1888, and it has the 3g/L number. HOWEVER, I looked up other sherry-cask finished spirits, such as Aberlour and Macallan, and they also say 3g. My guess is that any sherried spirit picks up some sugar from the cask, and if it's no more than 3g/L, no sugar has been added by the distiller.
Quine
Cabin Boy

Post by Quine »

Went looking for a review of this one in your forums. Seems like I have at least one bottle of an unadulterated rum. Along with the muted sweetness all of the various flavours I pick up are equally muted so it all stays in nice balance.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice review, Now I have to get a bottle some time this year. It's on the list.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Just ordered a bottle I'll let you know my thoughts on it next week.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition