Rum Review: Diplomatico Reserva Rum

Is Ron Zacapa a fad? Is Zaya, Angostura 1919 or Pyrat XO? How bout Diplomatico? There's a modern marketing trend afoot and it's toward rum as liqueur. Sweet and easy to sell, er, drink. Here's to Richard Seale, may he never see this section!

How do you rate Diplomatico Reserva Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
25%
25%
50%
No votes

Total votes: 4

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Diplomatico Reserva Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Diplomatico Reserva Rum: "Maple Syrup Lite"

I'm not going to take a lot of time on this review as Diplomatico Reserva has been widely reviewed, and has been favorably rated in comparison to its big sister - Reserva Exclusiva. When I first entered into this wacky world of rum tasting I queried a guy who appeared to have it together - fellow kayaker, experienced taster who simply raved over Pyrat Cask 23, but opined that if for some reason I wasn't ready to part with $250, I oughta try Zacapa or Diplomatico.

This of course led me to this purchase, but also led me to question Diplomatico's offerings. Do they earn their ratings? And if so, why? The envelope, please...

Sue Sea:
Lovely classic, squat and rich looking, fogged green bottle. Distillers of rum seem to want that classic old rich look and Diplomatico Reserva almost achieves this. But not quite. Reserva's aroma was fairly simple: butterscotch, and a rich maple syrup. This, of course, leads you to wonder if the taste and body will actually be heavy and syrupy. It is not. The taste is medium/light, smokey and cigarlike, with a surprisingly short smokey finish.

There really is not a lot going on here. I can see this rum being sipped on a warm Sunday afternoon under an umbrella - something for some light, non-challenging sipping.
Me:

I'm completely with Sue Sea on this one. The aroma is of maple syrup, period. Reserva's taste is medium/light and consistent with short, smoky, lightly peppery finish. Diplomatico Reserva is a lightweight, monodimensional easy sipper. Simple and non-complex for simple and non-complex drinkers. BFD. I was underwhelmed...

Ratings (10 is best): Sue Sea - 5, Jimbo - 6.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Ron Diplomatico reserva exclusiva

Post by JaRiMi »

A review of the Exclusiva-version...from a sample given to my by Count Silvio (thank you!!)

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

Colour:
Dark amber, gran reserva brandy - i.e. dark brown.

Nose: Sugary, roasted demerara sugars, sweet with a slight dark chocolate bitterness there too. Reminiscent of a Spanish brandy, quite simple - butterscotch.

Palate: Golly, someone dropped a whole dollop of sugar into this, auch!!! Sweeeet...sweet...sugary...butterscotch...did I mention the sugar? OK - it is very smooth..and sweet. Lacks the raisiny quality of a Gran Reserva Brandy (I took Cardenal Mendoza G. R. by the side as reference - this sweet old brandy is DRY in comparison..). Some maple syrup, a bit of banana underneath all that sugar. Roasted sugars.

Finish:
Sweet.

Comments: Apart from the sugary sweet butterscotch, roasted sugars, syrup and a hint of banana, this rum isn't talking. The amount of sugar here covers what may otherwise have been a decent rum. As is, the best use I can think of for this is using it as a sweetener to mix with black coffee. Hint: Don't add any sugar, just the rum. Not my cup of things, this one..Too darn sweet.