Cachaca - Back Atcha!

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Cachaca - Back Atcha!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Is Cachaca a cane juice (agricultural) rum?

You betcha. I was once engaged in pointing this out over at the Cult, er Ministry, when Preacher "It's all good" Ed - the consistently inconsistent prophet of rum - reluctantly agreed with me that cachacas (at least the major brands) were indeed agricoles (made from "fresh cane juice). Of course he later changed his mind.

How curious.

Why? Well, it's funny that while our dear prophet denies that Haiti's amazing, world class Barbancourt agricultural rums - which have FAR more in common with his vaunted AOC "rhum agricoles" - are agricultural rums, he allows unregulated Brazilian cachaca - into the club.

How can that be?

Simple. Cachaca was considered in the manner of Barrack Obama - before Super Tuesday. A nice young man who wasn't highly rated and didn't seem to pose any competition. Unlike Barbancourt, whose top ratings, price, availability and reputation made a mockery of most of the oppressively AOC-regulated rhums of Martinique (rhum snobs may unbunch their panties here). Consider this comment:
Quote:

"I would not mind hearing some comments comparing Cachaca to Rum Agricole. In my mind, they are very similar. Both signature drinks are very close to each other. The Caipirinha and Ti Punch. I am sure I am making this too basic, but what is the difference really? Other than the obvious - where they are produced?"

The most obvious difference to me is the maturity. Few cachaça products are aged much, whereas rhums agricole are known for their serious maturing in fine oaks. The aged cachaças I sampled often take advantage of unique hardwoods in Brazil which impart flavors unique to that region.

In general terms, Brazil's approach is more of a large quantity cheaper product that everyone's uncle makes, compared to the French islands which insist on high quality and strict standards.
"Large quantity cheaper product that everyone's uncle makes.."?! Spare me. The snobbery could not be more evident in this comment from the flock. Let's parse a tad, shall we?

It's not the "French islands", it's Martinique alone. And there is no "insistence" on standards. The AOC sets forth voluminous and oppressively strict regulations for its style of cane juice rum - if you want "AOC" on your label, you meet them. But you're free to produce cachaca/agricultural/cane juice rums without it if you prefer. Last, and most important, it would be a wonderful world indeed if "strict standards" and regulations resulted in "high quality".

Consistency of labeling perhaps. But "high quality" (ergo ratings) - NOT. In a "Comparison of Agricoles" (this forum section) it shoud be abundantly clear that the AOC regulated product is inconsistent and dominated by relatively average, but incredibly overpriced "rhum agricoles". France's history is ripe with attempts to control markets through such regulation.

And the rhum snobs love it, paying look-at-me prices for look-at-me "AOC rhum agricoles" for their look-at-me bar shelves. That's cane juice rum boyz and, except for a few, they ain't nothin special...