You started it Capn'

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

You started it Capn'

Post by John Willy »

I haven't been vocal here in quite some time. There's a reason.

The rums I was drinking were mostly 40 abv, tasty but I was missing something. If you're familiar with some of my earlier posts you will understand I have difficulty with tastes. You have to bloody my nose before I get the point.

The last bottle of rum I enjoyed was a Plantation 1990 Guyana. Seems I'm alone on that one, but the important point is it made me wonder why I liked this bottle more than the other rums I had drank. First thought was it was 47.5 abv. and it was supposedly aged for considerable time in used cognac barrels in France (unable to verify this). It was the higher abv that I focused on.

Around November last year I was tasked with buying my son-in-law some American whiskey/bourbon/rye. I knew squat about this distillate except for my handful of weekend bouts with a pint of Ten High when I was a 18 year old college freshman resulting in some memorable Saturday morning hangovers proceeded by many questionable antics by a 6'3" 230lb weightlifting footballer. javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

I became aware that this American stuff frequently had a higher abv than most rums. Result was I ended up buying 2 or 3 bottles of the stuff for me for every bottle I bought for 'sonny'.

As I drank it I just kept upping the abv and finding I liked it more.

I don't want to imply I was out to shred my throat or destroy my taste buds entirely. I limit dosage and take small sips. I mean SMALL sips.

I have learned I love well constructed heat/spice/pepper and touches of sweet (I can't describe the nuances of sweet).

I just read da'rum's post comparing 3 overproof rums. I am curious how different the 'sober' review will differ from the 'plowed' one. I appreciate your stoic efforts.

I guess I wanted to write this just to explain my absence.

This site has some of the best and most interesting posters providing wonderful stories/information/opinions. The Capn' is completely unique and enjoyable. I have found no other 'booze' site with such a comfortable freedom and sense of welcomeness.

Regards,
John
If you're happy and don't know you're happy, then nobody is home.....
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I am humbled...

And that's saying something. Thanks for the kind words. I truly like, respect and enjoy those who share their thoughts here. I recently - almost by accident - decided to check the number of "hits" and pages read here, and it's almost 2.5 million a year.

That is really something, and it took years for this to happen. I daresay The Rum Project is certainly the most viewed, truly independent rum website on the net, thanks to all of us.

It's my pleasure and with those numbers in mind, do know that what you say and share are read by many, many thousands of rum lover, and other webmasters. This is how attitudes change, and believe me they are changing.

Thank you for your openness and post. Here's to all, may we never disagree...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Great that you have found something John! Good to see you posting again too. I will re-do that overproof review when I buy a new computer az mine blew up and I'm posting now on the wife's smart phone.
I will say that both Pussers and Smith and Cross are great rums and the lemon hart is treacle that is almost undrinkable straight. The lh is still sitting on the kitchen shelf and is used on very rsre occasions when yhe girls get together and want a sweet cocktail.
With your palate problem snd new penchant for over proof rum I'd be surprised if you didn't like Smith and Cross.
in goes your eye out
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by John Willy »

At 57 abv Smith & Cross falls right in my range. I've a bottle setting on the shelf. I've found 50 abv up to about 69 abv that I enjoy in the American whiskeys. I really like rye whiskey. Drink all my stuff neat. Hell that's how they bottled it, I'll drink it. Diluting it doesn't give me a more nuanced taste, it just backs down the heat which is one of my fundamental taste rides.

As is my character I typically start with more expensive stuff and start experimenting. Trouble is that drains the funds too fast.

I'm currently on a mission to find those 'sippers' I enjoy in the $12 to $20 range. I know they are out there. Trouble is many are hard to get a hold of here in California. Although that's not really a problem since I have to do all my shopping online so it's a numbers game. Looking at Old Charter 101, Old Overholt Rye, Ancient Age 10 Year, Very Old Barton BIB, Old Grand Dad BIB, Old Grand Dad 114, and more.

I've actually enjoyed all the whiskeys I have tried except for W L Weller 12 year. It gives me indigestion.

I was intrigued by the Pussers you're reviewing da'rum, but I don't think that high abv model is available in the US. At any rate Smith & Cross sounds very promising. Thanks for reminding me.

I don't have friends that sip anything....just 'shooters' or 'guzzlers'. I do have one friend I am trying to show some good stuff to, but he thinks a sip means a mouthful. A number of months ago I bought him a bottle of the first batch (lowest abv of 4 batches, 66.8 (?) abv) of Parker's Heritage Collection 2012 edition. His first 'sip', of course a mouthful, as I'm trying to explain 'just a TINY sip'. I'm watching tears come to his eyes as he jerked his head trying to swallow. I started laughing and closed my eyes thinking he was going to spray a mouthful at me and torch my face because of the lit cigar I had in my mouth. He got it down. Unfortunately his mouth and throat were cauterized. His poor taste buds were shot for the rest of the evening.

Regards,
John
If you're happy and don't know you're happy, then nobody is home.....
Count Silvio
Cabin Boy

Post by Count Silvio »

Capn Jimbo wrote:I recently - almost by accident - decided to check the number of "hits" and pages read here, and it's almost 2.5 million a year.

That is really something, and it took years for this to happen. I daresay The Rum Project is certainly the most viewed, truly independent rum website on the net, thanks to all of us.
A bold claim Mr. Jimbo, a bold claim! ;)
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Proof experimentation is one of the great journeys of drinking.

I thought I hated wheated bourbon until I tried it at 107 proof in Old Weller Antique. Then it was a totally different animal. That was the first light bulb for me.

After that I tried some serious high caliber proofers, some of which were awesome and some of which were bucking broncos (they did have the side benefit of forcing an education in how to sip a vicious whiskey carefully, which is probably a lot like riding a bucking bronco).

But as much as I was enjoying the high proofers, then I found some other stuff that changed my mind. I found some old dustys at 80 proof. Particularly Old Charter.

What I noticed was that there was indeed a case for lower proof. It was "light and refreshing". That's how I best could name the experience. A great bourbon for chilling in the afternoon, as opposed to a big hitter for after dark.

Intensity vs. causal. There is a time and place for both.

I also perked up my ears when I heard that professional tasters dilute the whiskeys down around 20-25% ABV to do their tasting, in order to not numb their taste buds.

I took a pour of Elmer T Lee and I dumped a huge splash of water in. Almost 50/50.

The end result? Again, extremely refreshing, and I had a whole lot of flavor going on in that watery dram. I had to leave for sea shortly after my first experiments with this, but I am going to do this a whole lot more.

I prefer absolutely to BUY my whiskeys at barrel proof, because I like to be the one in charge of the decision of how much water to add, based on my mood and tasting goals.

But don't write off low proof spirits just yet. Sometimes you just have to change your mind about whether or not you can find a pleasant context for a down-proofed experience.

If nothing else, it's educational and adds a near infinity of dimensions to what we think are "familiar" spirits.

Even Colonel Chuck says that anything over 110 proof gets watered to 110 in his house. And he cautions that above 120-odd you have to be very careful not to inflict tissue damage. Definitely worthy of consideration.