Rum Review: Plantation Barbados Old Reserve 1995 Rum

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!

How do you rate Plantation Barbados 1995 Rum (five is best)?

50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Plantation Barbados Old Reserve 1995 Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Plantation Barbados Old Reserve 1995 Rum: "Gentle Giant"

If you haven't realized already, Sue Sea and I simply love Barbadian rums (although there are a few close seconds, lol). Plantation Barbados Old Reserve 1995 is yet another. It is not at all easy to find, and generally runs about $30 or a bit more. I have to be honest, we have gotten to the point where we've tasted most of the rums in which we have an interest, but at $19.95 I couldn't resist.
The reviews:

Sue Sea:
I like a classy bottle - a good one really whets my interest, and Plantation Barbados 1995 is lovely. A nice classic label with a drawing of Barbados and a couple of sailing ships, classic indented bottom and finished with a crisscross tie of palm. The ivory and orange label is perfect and highlights its beautiful light amber color. Delicious before we even started! Ha! I found Plantation's aroma to be of clove and honey, with a pungent undertone of seems like smokey cork or hickory. Later I picked up a bit of chocolate. I have no doubt you will find its aroma extremely smooth and pleasant.

Plantation tastes of smooth honey, followed by some raisins or dark fruit. Surprisingly, it changed to a dry, almost warming pepper - like biting into a peppercorn. The finish was long, peppery, warm and what I call explosive. There was an aftertaste of slightly bitter cacao - very nice. I think Plantation 95 is a great sipping rum - alluring, surprising, smooth and enticing.
Me:

When it comes to Barbadian rums, Sue Sea and I are hard to please, especially considering the competition: Mount Gay Extra Old and Seales 10. It would take quite a rum to come even close to their 9 and 10 ratings. Plantation Barbados 1995 is a contender...

I found the 95's aroma lovely - light, sweet, a kind of cinnamon/honey, with a bit of oak, dark fruit and a late aroma of light chocolate. Smidge of vanilla in the background. Breaking it down into it's components is really unfair as they blend so well. All I can tell you is that the aroma is smooth, sweet and moderate. Beautiful and does not overpower.

I found its body medium-light; 95 tastes peppery and warming and yes, you may pick up a bit of chocolate. It starts smooth and buttery, then changes to a slightly astringent, noticeably peppery finish - which is long, warm and peppery. The aftertaste is pleasant and yet another surprise - a light, slightly bitter cocoa. Not at all cloying, syrupy or tobacco/leathery like some of the heavier cigar rums.

No, Plantation Barbados 1995 is a rare treat. It will surprise you - pleasantly - at every stage as it changes from aroma, through taste, late palate, finish and aftertaste. Doors keep opening in a very sophisticated presentation. Honestly, this is a must buy at any reasonable price.

If you can find it.

Score (10 is best): a solid 8.