Rum Review: Ron Barcelo Imperial Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Ron Barcelo Imperial Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Barcelo Imperial Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Barcello Imperial Rum: "Papa's Leather Table"

Ron Barcello Imperial rum presents in yet another great bottle. Compare to Botran Solera, Seales 10 or Vizcaya VXOP. In general this rum is well reviewed and is available for a very reasonable price - accordingly it ended up on my tasting schedule. Since I don't have an intriguing story behind this rum, we'll just get to the reviews:

Sue Sea:
Ron Barcelo Imperial comes in a very attractive flat bottle with rounded shoulders. Not as flashy as look-at-me Vizcaya VXOP, but quiet, serious and sophisticated. My first nosing of this very nice rum was leathery, with a hint of vanilla. There was a pleasant tone of newly polished furniture. Imperial's body was medium/heavy - the taste was very spicy, strong clove and cinnamon. The finish was short, consistent and peppery. This is a truly robust rum.

My dear grandfather was a cigar smoker and this rum would have been perfect for him. I still remember him enjoying an evening cigar with his feet up on his polished leather table. A nice rum.

At its $20 price, the presentation and rum would make a lovely gift for the spirit's afficianado.
Me:

Ron Barcelo Imperial is a fine rum and a good value. Its color is a medium orangey amber, a slight green edge and solid legs. Nose with care as you may encounter an slight alcohol prickle - not unpleasant, just approach gently. I do understand Sue Sea's furniture polish reference (think of a deep fruity waxy aroma - very pleasant) which is definitely there. This aroma is pungent, a deep orange leather, and borders on a deep clove with a hint of pineapple, cigar box and vanilla. With this powerful but pleasant introduction, Imperial's taste is surprisingly sweet, with clove and cinnamon. The end palate is very astringent, with a deep fruity/peppery oak. The mouth finish is peppery, with a lingering peppery/cigar box aftertone. Not a beginner's rum, but a very powerful and fine offering.

It goes without saying this is a cigar rum; indeed I used to smoke cigars thirty years ago - despite the fact that I am a comfortable and committed non-smoker now, this rum actually made me want to buy a good stogie. Ron Barcelo Imperial is powerful but pleasant and smooth. Had it a better finish we'd have rated it higher. Attractively priced at just $20.

Score (10 is best): 8.

Note: Much later Sue Sea and I had the opportunity to taste Ron Barcelo's Gran Anejo (link) - in this more competent review we compare the Gran Anejo with Barcelo's premier Imperial. Well worth the read...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Just got a bottle of this in my last online order, opened it last night. I would have to say at $20 it gives El Dorado 12 yr a run for the best bargain in rum (maybe any liquor) I have had yet.
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

Your Review nails it. A very strong 8 for the price. I liked the mix of "dryer" leathery and oaky moments and fruity apricot ones. It was a blind acquistion (I read the review after I bought the bottle since it was cheap (for German standards)).

Truly a well balanced rum with versatile flavour. I would rate it 9 if it had a higher degree of uniqueness - but it represents good rum flavour without deviating enough to be truly among the champions - if that makes any sense :-)

Capn's Log: Che, it does make sense. You too have nailed it when you say "...without deviating enough to be among the champions". Exactly.