Welcome to the Miscellaneous Spirits and Drinks Section!

Great tasters note that one way to better your understanding of a spirit is to try others. We've already tried calvados, cognac, armangnac, tequila, whisky and gin. Here's some of the more unusual spirits and drinks. Mead me halfway on this, woncha?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome to the Miscellaneous Spirits and Drinks Section!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Meade me halfway in this, woncha?

Perhaps the best way to appreciate rum is to drink something else, anything else, but particularly those spirits that are pure and unaltered, and often (but not always) using pot stills. Whisky, bourbon, tequila, cognac, armangnac, and calvados have been covered. Gin has been covered from yet another perspective - the honest and open addition of often natural herbs and spices to create masterpieces of subtle flavors.

Experiencing good examples of these spirits may open your eyes regarding the altered world of rogue rums - the spirit without identity. The big issue with rum is: because so much of it is really thin column-stilled spirit that is then secretly altered to taste "rum-like", products labeled "rum" don't share much of a common identity. Different distillers cheat using different recipes for very different profiles.

This is why there are no rum "wheels", as tasting wheels are based on common elements. But as always I digress...

What to expect...

This section does not purport to be pure anything; rather it's meant to be - as always - historical and... Fun! Fun, I say! For example the first post in this section will be for "Meade" - a historical drink based on fermented honey that goes back to ancient times. There's a real history here, one well worth exploring.

And it will be fun! Dig it fellow idiots...
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Not to spoil your post on mead, but I do believe that it was the Sumerians (or was it Assyrians?) who, when a marriage occurred, the bride and groom were given enough mead to last about a month.

It is this period of time from which we get the term "honeymoon".

Now, let me post this question: Will you be taking a look at bierschnapps?

The same folk who make Sgt. Classick's Rum also make a bierschnapps, which is very interesting to try. Think a young single malt with hints of agave...quite a surprise to this one when I first tried it, now I have a bottle in the freezer.

Capn's Log: Once again, the U-man has beaten me (partially) to the punch. The Meade we found told just that story (origin of "honeymoon"), which Sue Sea and I found fascinating. A great piece of history. Our second post will be not on "biershnapps" but on yet another medicinal German offering.

Perhaps you could post a BS piece (snapps intended)?