UBC 2012 rum results

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Uisge
Cap'n

UBC 2012 rum results

Post by Uisge »

Listing found here

In other categories, I was pleasantly surprised to see Bulliet Rye take #2 in Rye whiskey AND the standard Bulliet fared quite well as a finalist in the American whiskey category, doing even better than the much lauded George T Stagg.

Interestingly, nary a listing of Jack Daniels in the Tennessee whiskey group...wonder why :?
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Wow some surprising results across the board this year.

In the rum category - bacardi reserva Limitada ($110) barely outscoring their anejo ($19), and well below the 8 yr ($23). Also Prichard's placing so low.

Appleton Reserve placing above the 12 year, especially considering the capn's pan of it relative to the V/X and extra.

I might need to get ahold of one of these Banks rums, I have seen several people rave about the 5. Might pass on the Endeavour though.

Ok i just looked at the Tequila rankings, and I got to wonder what they were smoking when they ranked these. Cuervo Tradicional 1 point below the amazing Siete Leguas??? This would be like Bacardi gold vs Mt Gay XO.

Cuervo Platino (which is outstanding) below Lunazul Blanco?? (I have never had the blanco but find the repo barely drinkable.)

El Jimador repo above Don Julio and - CASA NOBLE???? casa noble is generally regarded as one of the absolute finest tequilas in the world. The Blanco is my favorite, though I have yet to try the repo it is VERY highly regarded. I love the Don Julio repo, just bought a bottle for $40, but I would not rebuy El Jimador repo at the $20 I paid for it, not terrible just very very mediocre.

Herradurra seleccion suprema - a $300 tequila and one that EVERY tequila aficionado I know who has splurged has said is worth every penny - at 86, 3 points below the mediocre Don Julio 70th Claro (a bland over-filtered experiment that tastes more like vodka than tequila.)

In Bourbon - eagle rare 10 yr equal to George T Stagg?? and above Wild Turkey rare breed? I have a bottle of the eagle rare, I don't like it at all. All I can taste is an overly sweet entry and wood in the finish, and that has an off taste - no mid palate at all. One of the few Bourbons I have tried that I would not rebuy.

And Blanton's getting a 98? I mean Blantons is decent but I find it way too smooth and not all that interesting, I call it Blandons. There are many bourbons at half the $50 price I much prefer.

At least their Scotch ratings are (for the most part) pretty good. Except for Speyburn 10 yr and Glenmorangie Original - two Scotches I would not rebuy - scoring the same as the amazing Balvenie 21 yr Portwood (which I have had and is in a different universe than the other two).

I am happy to see that the Cognac I picked up on closeout in PA for $58 topped the list again - as it did in 2010 - outscoring even tne highly regarded martell Cordon Bleu and the $400 Camus extra elegance - as well as an $800 Cognac from Pierre Ferrand.

Sorry but after seeing this year's list I just can't take these guys seriously anymore.
Last edited by NCyankee on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NCyankee
Admiral

Re: UBC 2012 rum results

Post by NCyankee »

Uisge wrote:Listing found here
Interestingly, nary a listing of Jack Daniels in the Tennessee whiskey group...wonder why :?
I doubt very much JD would bother to enter, since they are already a household name while hardly anyone has heard of George Dickel (despite IMO it being no contest as far as quality.) Why risk being embarrassed? (though judging by the other results I would say it was a coin toss, the judges really don't seem to like more flavorful spirits).
Uisge
Cap'n

Re: UBC 2012 rum results

Post by Uisge »

NCyankee wrote:
Uisge wrote:Listing found here
I doubt very much JD would bother to enter, since they are already a household name while hardly anyone has heard of George Dickel (despite IMO it being no contest as far as quality.) Why risk being embarrassed? (though judging by the other results I would say it was a coin toss, the judges really don't seem to like more flavorful spirits).
Very good point, and probably a bulls-eye.