Review: Hendrick's Gin

F. Paul Pacult calls gin "...the best of white spirits for cocktails and my favorite overall white spirit." That's saying something. Gin has all the finesse and sophistication that vodka never will. Best yet, true world class gins can be purchased in the $20 range. A very few valid wodkas (and Everclear) appear here!

How do you rate Hendrick's Gin (five is best)?

50%
No votes
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Hendrick's Gin

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Is that a cucumber or or are you just happy to see me?

If you've read the two "stickies" (I guess it wasn't a cucumber) in this section you should be aware of two main points:

1. Gin comes in three or maybe five basic styles, three being popular (London Dry, Holland and Plymouth style).

2. Although methods of manufacture differ, the best use a gin head, and the name "Gin", is a takeoff on the word for juniper, the common element for all.

Not so fast!

There are no rules for gin - making it is really an art. Perhaps one of the more unusual and iconoclastic of these is Hendrick's Gin, distilled in bottled in Scotland. Yes, it's based on juniper, along with other elements including coriander and citrus peel (out of 11 components). But then they infuse two unusual components...

Rose petals and cucumber.

Like single malt whisky, the Scottish distillers use venerable old copper pot stills using what Hendrick's calls a "Carter Head" - a gin head, or second compartment located on top of the pot still, loaded with the 11-component blend, and through which the distilled vapors must pass.

This is slow, laborious and expensive, and represents best practices. A handmade, small batch spirit made by some folks who really know their pot stills.

Some fascinating history

According to the Wiki, Hendrick's uses a small restored pot still, a "Bennett", manufactured around 1860. Above, I thought the Carter-Head referred to what is called a gin-head (an attachment), but is actually a separate still.

Shame on me, but what did you expect from a Compleat Idiot? Now here's the cool part.

The process begins when the Bennett (a simple pot still) is charged with a wheat-based neutral spirit (aka vodka), along with the botanical "recipe". This is distilled to about 75% (very flavorful), and is described as "heavy and oily, and features very strong juniper".

The Carter-Head still is very different and is charged only with a diluted neutral spirit. This still has a gin head which is filled with the botanicals. The vapors pass through gently and thus produce what is called a "lighter, sweeter, more floral" distillate.

Now the magic. These two distillates are then blended, and then - infused with Bulgarian rose petals and - cucumber! Now if anyone knows anything about purity blending it is surely the Scots.

Accordingly, this is a very unique gin, unlike any other.

At last! The Reviews...

Sue Sea:
Over the past months I have come to really enjoy fine gins. As is typcial of Jim, he worked hard to identify and collect the key gins, by style. It turns out he loves the London Dry style, while personally I'm a huge fan of the Holland and Plymouth styles, particularly in a nice "dirty martini".

Yum. After covering the basic styles, he finally brought home the Hendrick's Gin, and as he said "...I couldn't stand not knowing what Hendrick's is all about".

Let's start with the bottle. I love presentation and the Hendrick's Gin is sold in a what is called "...a dark brown apothecary bottle". Not ours, which is a squat black glass bottle - simply gorgeous with its diamond shaped traditional black-and-white label, old world and elegant. The label features a background scroll stating "small batch" and "handcrafter". The bottle has a molded in name, topped with a clever capped cork. Nicely done.

The Hendrick's Gin presented with a pleasant light juniper lost in fields of lavender, lemon zest, rose, a touch of grapefruit and what I like to call lemon furniture polish.

The early palate is somehow oily and light (!), presenting a lemon oil. Hendrick's Gin is heavy bodied, solid and smooth. The opening palate moves into a slow motion explosion of flavors that just keep on coming, leading to a lovely, hot anisette/pitzel, mouth glowing white pepper finish.

Another note. This gin is so very smooth and oily, but somehow not buttery. Think of a good, authentic Greek or Italian light virgin (first press) olive oil. Last, and particularly because we have not officially reviewed any other gins, it's really not right for me to rate this fine gin.

I will say though that is quite different, extremely pleasant and is in the running for my preferred gin. One final note (yes, I'm beginning to write like Jim) - although I "got" the rose petals early on, it did take awhile, but If finally realized the cucumber, and Jim's classic aftershave elements. I now understand Hendrick's recommended martin - a simple one with dry vermouth, no bitters, and a slice of cucumber. You'd never guess, but is lovely.
Me: As Sue Sea mentioned, I'm a London Dry guy. But do have confidence that our personal preferences play a very minor role, if any, in our reviews, as is right and proper.

Hendrick's Gin is heavy bodied and crystal clear, and presented a very slow, pearl necklace legs. It presents as oily, with a notable silver "edge". Does that really matter? In this case, it does.

The opening nose is unique. The older and wiser amoung you are old enough to remember going to an old-fashioned barbershop, and no doubt purchased a few classic and traditional aftershaves and light colognes from say, Pinaud.

Hendrick's Gin presents as a light, refreshing and pleasant kind of aftershave. Light juniper with rose, light sweet spices, a touch of grapefruit. Smooth and impressively integrated, fresh. The palate is the kind that does not require dissection, except to note that it is completely consistent in its development. In the palate the Hendrick's opens oily and smooth, moving to a hot sweet heat, white pepper finish.

With time and consideration you will certainly "get" the rose, and cucumber. Trust me on this.

To me the craftsmanship of this gin is evident and the label - for once - doesn't lie. I was fascinated by the possibilities of what the land of single malts might do with a gin, and I was not disappointed.

Rating (10 is best): withheld for now.