Suck Up Dept: Wolfie "earns" trip to Guyana!

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Suck Up Dept: Wolfie "earns" trip to Guyana!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I've never sucked a sausage...

But I would if someone - say the DDL or a key wine and spirits seller - would organize a "delegation" and pay my way to Guyana for the quoted purpose of "...building our knowledge with respect to both Demerara Distillers and the Country of Guyana".

Hell, Wikipedia or A Mountain of Ice can tell you more about distillation in Guyana than you'd ever want to know. Or buy the inimitable Dave Broom's book "Rum". Or read The Rum Project.

Is it really about "gaining knowledge"?

And is the Frozen Furball the researcher to send? Is this a legitimate anthropological expedition, or yet another cheep sop designed to gain predictably positive reviews and promotion by commercial Canadian entities?

You decide.

What's better and cheaper than advertising? Easy. Organize a "delegation", er research team, of cooperative commercial shillmeisters - and all concerned will share the in the profits. But seeking knowledge? Gag me with a spoon. As for the Furball...

He's already regurgitating the sausage he gulped down with his last vodka "tasting" (FYI, sausage with vodka is part of his tasting protocol). Hope it wasn't a hot spicy one...
Capn Jimbo

Let's test this out...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I couldn't resist...

So natch, I sent the DDL (Demerara Distillers Ltd) the following email...
At The Rum Project, we are the one of the largest, completely independent rum websites in the world.

We have tasted and reviewed over 150 rums and posted competent and unbiased reviews of same.

Recently, I became aware that the DDL had paid for a "delegation" of Canadian rum interests to tour the DDL (April 12 through 16th), This delegation included the Rum Howler blog and Woodman Wine and Spirits.

Both are Canadian interests.

Isn't it about time you sponsored a trip by a resource known for its absolute honesty, who does not accept free product, and who publishes unbiased and uninfluenced rum reviews?

Yes, that would be The Rum Project.

Please advise..

Best,
Capn Jimbo
The Rum Project
Of course you already know their response, don't you? Nada. Crickets chirping through the dead of night...
Capn Jimbo

An update...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

An update...

It's been over a month since this research mission of "delegates' whose stated purpose was "...building our knowledge with respect to both Demerara Distillers and the Country of Guyana". Have you wondered what came of it?

Not much.

One travel writer who made the trip posted only a very short blurb about her trip, exclaimed over the waterfall, and gloated over her being awarded the titile of "connoiseur", and naturally threw in some fluff praising ED's rums. How educational. This surely expands our knowledge of the country of Guyana, nicht vahr?

Not at all.

As for our fawning, furry and frozen friend from the north, all we've gotten is a few tourist pics ("here's me standing by the falls... standing on top of a still... looking into a fermentation tank") and noting that this trip was so important that he needed some time to properly organize his thoughts and analysis of the "mission".

A variation of the dog ate my homework.

But in that month he's managed to post nine of his usual verbose reviews of of nine rums, whiskies and vodkas, a considerable body of work requiring much vaseline and a box of Bic pens. But as for Guyana?

Nada. Not a word. Now I say this knowing that the furball mormonistically follows this site, and thus will now feel forced to actually post something - anything - to prove me wrong. It's the kind of influence I hold over my followers.

Stay tuned...