Caroni Trinity

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Caroni Trinity

Post by JaRiMi »

Caroni Trinity was bottled by Bristol Spirits solely for the Finnish market, and it is an interesting single cask cuvee of three vintages, married together over a lengthy period. The cask yielded 298 bottles I believe.

Original strength of this rum was 60+ percent, but the bottling strength was reduced slightly, so as not to frighten consumers away.

I made a review of this admittedly expensive (117 euros, blame the Finnish taxes!) rum in my blog, link below:

http://whisky-rum.blogspot.com/

Please have a look. I don't want to use this forum as mere advertising place for my blog, so the actual review in english is also copied below.

Caroni Trinity – a cuvee of three vintages
(1989/1992/1994), married together in a single rum cask. Selected & bottled solely for the Finnish market (Sky Cellar/Alko)

This unusual rum cask originates from Trinidad, the Southernmost island of the Caribbean.

The Caroni distillery, silent since 2002 when the government of Trinidad & Tobago made the controversial decision of stopping rum production at the site, had the capacity to make many different types of rum, due to the many different types of stills used. Copper pot stills, an old single-column still, a four-column Gerb Herman still and a two-column Blairs still were all used until 2002, although a majority of rums did come from the column stills.

It is safe to say that Caroni’s vast maturing rum stock contained many hidden treasures. Nearly all went to global bulk rum sales until 2004, when European independent bottlers first took notice of Caroni and its assets. This was a very fortunate thing for rum lovers, because men like Luca Gargano of Velier, Italy, and John Barrett of Bristol Spirits rescued these wonderful Caroni rum stocks for us all.

TASTING NOTES

Nose: Powerful notes of tobacco, vanilla, old & oaky bourbon, antique wood polish. Leathery, not unlike an old, heavily sherried malt whisky. Orange rind, dark chocolate with orange bits. High alcohol percentage challenges the senses, adding a drop of water really opens up the nose (recommended).

Palate: An absolutely unique Trinidadian style & taste, unlike any other, is immediately recognizeable. An infusion of vanilla & spices; Orange rind and nutmeg come to mind, then cinnamon, and coconut husk.

Quite dry, obviously without any added sugar or caramel colourings (here here, well done!). This rum has a very rich and flavoursome palate, reminding me of both old sherried malts and some older bourbon whiskeys.

Unlike some Caroni bottlings which I tasted, this one hasn’t got the heavy oily (outboard motor engine oil!) notes – and I am rather happy about that fact, as I’ve always considered the oiliness slightly unpleasant and a definite off-note.

Finish: Longish, with orange rind, vanilla, and oaky undertones. A class-act all the way.

Notes: We are certainly lucky to get this beauty all to ourselves here in Finland, if you ask me! Without a doubt one of the very best Caroni rums I've ever tasted - a unique piece of Trinidadian heritage in a bottle. Que lindo!!!