Hi!

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
MSR
Landlubber

Hi!

Post by MSR »

Hi All,

I thought I'd introduce myself to you fine people after stumbling across the Rum tasting article which I found very helpful!

About myself? I reside in London, England, and after years of guzzling down Rum (yes, the B word) and coke for years I decided to try and educate myself by purchasing a 'nice sipping rum'. After some research I purchased a bottle of Mount Gay Extra Old and have been hooked since. I've bought a fair few bottles over the past 18 months, but I’m still trying to learn how to pick out all the flavours, and have a long way to go! I do have a few favourites: Ron Abuelo 7 y.o., Gosling’s Old Rum and Ron Zacapa, though there are many more that I would like to try!

I hope to learn a lot more over the coming months and years and a site like this will definitely help!

Manni
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You are certainly welcome, and I'm sure that the rum is flowing in England at the Olympics. You've picked out some interesting rums there, and I hope you've enjoyed them.

Look forward to your comments...
MSR
Landlubber

Post by MSR »

Thanks Cap'n.

Yea that is a range of rums that I've listed there I guess. It shows how new I am to the world of fine rums and that I’m yet to narrow down what it is that I find the most enjoyable.

On a side note, I was recently gifted a bottle of Ron Abuelo Centuria...what's your take on this rum? I'm yet to open it, as I want to improve my palette if possible before I taste it as I know it’s a fairly pricey bottle.

Manni.
NCyankee
Admiral

Re: Hi!

Post by NCyankee »

MSR wrote: I do have a few favourites: Ron Abuelo 7 y.o., Gosling’s Old Rum
I just had these for the first time a few weeks ago, liked them both quite a bit. I would recommend the Myers's Legend if you can find it, very similar to the Gosling's.

I tried a very small sample of the Abuelo 7 yr at a bar, bought the 12 yr later but have yet to open it.

By the way - welcome aboard!
MSR
Landlubber

Post by MSR »

Thanks NCyankee, another Rum to add to the ever growing list! :)

I'll be sure to taste at my local spirit retailer if possible.

Enjoy the Abuelo 12yo; I really do have a soft spot for the Abuelo range, and thinking of picking up a bottle for myself at some point.

I'm working through the Basic Reference Collection list on this site first, only have the following to go:

Barbancourt Five Star
Brinley's Coffee
Flor de Cana Gold (4 year)
Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva

Though I've tried and liked many Rums not in the list, I just need to narrow down what I like and what I would like to keep as a staple in the cupboard.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Before we can properly assist you, we need to know the size of your cupboard, and what percentage of it you are willing to devote to rum.

I will second the motion on the Abuelo 12, I find it more interesting than the Plantation line's Panama rums.

Welcome to the fold!
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
MSR
Landlubber

Post by MSR »

RT wrote:Before we can properly assist you, we need to know the size of your cupboard, and what percentage of it you are willing to devote to rum.

I will second the motion on the Abuelo 12, I find it more interesting than the Plantation line's Panama rums.

Welcome to the fold!
What percentage of space? Well, I would say 70%...my Rum shares it with my Whisky! They live happily together, which in turn makes me happy...the circle of life! :P

And thanks for the welcome all.