Greetings from North Texas

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
bearmark
Beermeister

Greetings from North Texas

Post by bearmark »

My name is Mark Hébert and I'm a Cajun (Acadian) transplant from Lafayette, LA who lives in the Dallas, TX area. After starting to explore wines in the last year, I was introduced to rum by my brother who just poured a glass of Pampero Aniversario Reserva Exclusiva añejo rum and said, "Try this!" I liked it so much that I purchased a bottle within a few days.

I'm somewhat of a connoisseur of flavors that I particularly enjoy, so I began to explore other rums in short order. My brother was too busy to help in that endeavor, so I turned to the internet and discovered Cap'n Jimbo's Rum Project on my first attempt. The explanation of styles and the no-nonsense, practical ratings were just what I was looking for and I set out to experience each one via the super helpful Basic Starter Collection. It's been several months now and I've not completed my collection yet, but I've ventured far beyond that as I happened upon deals and unique finds.

Here are the rums that I have in my cabinet (in the order that I acquired them) as a result of my indoctrination by Cap'n Jimbo:
  • Appleton Estate Extra 12 Year - $27
  • Foursquare Spiced - $7 (200ml)
  • Leblon Cachaça - $34
  • Westerhall Plantation - $25
  • Dos Maderas 5+3 - $30
  • Rhum Barbancourt Reserve Espéciale 5-Star - $23
  • R.L. Seale's 10 Year - $22
  • Flor de Caña Centenario Gold 18 Year - $43
  • The Scarlet Ibis - $27 (I had to purchase this on in Lafayette, LA, since it wasn't available in the Dallas area.)
  • Fazenda Mãe de Ouro Cachaça - $29 (unopened)
My least favorite on this list is the Barbancourt and I will most likely not repurchase this one (personal taste), but there's not a bad one in the bunch. I've also had the opportunity to sample the following via friends: El Dorado 15 Year, Mount Gay Ecclipse, Old Monk XXX, Ron Abuelo 7 Year, Captain Morgan's Black Spiced, Sailor Jerry's Spiced, Cruzan Single Barrel, Cruzan 9 and Pusser's British Navy (Blue Label). I know that if I'd done this on my own, that I would've hit upon several over-priced losers and I might never have ventured into the various styles (if I count the Westerhall as a Cuban, then I've hit them all, including the debated Trinidadian). This has been lots of fun so far and I feel like I've just gotten started. Here are the ones that I've got my eye out for now: Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, El Dorado 15 Year, Dos Maderas PX, Wray and Nephew Overproof, Cruzan Single Barrel, Mount Gay XO, Smith and Cross Traditional, Montecristo 12 Year and Santa Teresa 1796. Of course, I'm also open to any rare and interesting finds that I can share with the Rum Project.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome (at last)!

Welcome to the Bear and a beginning collection that is really quite remarkable. We look forward to your experiences with each of these. In our opinion it is very important to learn the basic styles, as suggested by the reference standards. Soon you will be able to identify a style even blindtasting. And when tasting a new rum (and identifying its style), it is so very important to then compare it - right then and there - to your reference standard.

What's important is that you will be comparing well known, well regarded and generally top-rated standards to your new tipple. To be fair, in time you may discover a rum that bests the standard, in which case you now have your own, new reference standard. I can't tell you how many times we almost gave a rum a higher rating than it deserved, when a comparison to a reference standard brought us back to reality. In time too you'll start setting up your own flights.

For example, with the Barbancourt Five Star (yes, we understand that the profile of cane juice rums are very different), one could start with the Three Star, then the Five Star, and last the Estate Domaine ( 15 year). This really drives home the effect of aging, particularly in that it is the same distillate that is being aged. You cannot do this with the El Dorados or say Flor de Cana, as the different ages are also different blends.

I suspect that in time you will come to appreciate the Barbancourt Five Star for perhaps being one of the very best rums in the world.

Last, I would be curious as to how you'd compare the Maderas PX vs the 5+3. It was our opinion that the 5+3 had reached the practical limit of sherry barrel aging, and that the PX (at 5+5) may well be overdone . Let us know...

In any event, welcome! Great collection...
bearmark
Beermeister

Great Advice!

Post by bearmark »

Thanks for the great advice! I've updated my signature to include my references rather than my favorites. They're listed in my order of preference and I expect to update it as I discover new references. I already know that El Dorado 15 is a strong contender for my Demeraran reference, because I've had a sample (complements of a friend) and was very impressed. The same goes for Mount Gay XO as a Bajan reference... I was very impressed with my brief sample of that one as well.

I'm taking note of your advice on the variously aged Rhum Barbancourt offerings as well. I've thought about trying the 3-Star and your comments have confirmed that I should move forward with that plan, especially knowing that they're from the same distillate. In my opinion, the 5-star is a bit over-oaked for the flavor profile. It just doesn't work for me like the aging of Flor de Caña 18. I really like the oaked flavor in a Cabernet, bourbon, rye whiskey, even a good ale (e.g. Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout), but it just doesn't complement the flavor of this Agricole Rhum, in my opinion. I taste a lot of promise in the 5-star that I hope I can rediscover in the 3-star or perhaps another offering. I'll definitely keep up the search.

That reminds me that I should chime in on the whiskey discussion. :wink:
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Many people (myself by a very small margin) prefer the 12 yr El dorado to the 15 yr - it seems to be more widely available and is substantially less expensive in some areas - I have a friend who goes to Atlanta often and the 12 yr is $20 while the 15 yr is $33.
bearmark
Beermeister

El Dorado 12

Post by bearmark »

Thanks for the advice on the value of El Dorado 12 vs. 15. I'm actually hoping for a deal on the 15 year, but I'll most likely check out the 12 year first ($25 here) and compare it to my friend's bottle of the 15 year. After all, I don't have unlimited funds. Back to the comparison… even Dave Broom (i forgot to mention that i purchased this book above… another excellent recommendation from Cap'n Jimbo) says, "If anything, the 12 is as good as the 15," just as you point out. After my sampling of the 15 year, I'm quite certain that El Dorado rum will find a permanent place in my cabinet. I'm looking forward to it.

Since we're on the topic of comparison, how does the Flor de Caña 12 compare to the 18? I've really enjoyed the 18 year and consider it to be my best rum so far (subject to change as I'm learning to hone my tasting methods and abilities).

Capn's Log: Sue Sea and I have reviewed all the FdC's: 4, 5, 7, 12, and 18. The 18 is stupendous, the 7 is surprising, but all are interesting and worthwhile. A note to those who like vertical tastings: we believe that FdC is dealing with two different blends - the 5/12 and the 7/18. Thus vertical comparisons are not really possible beyond these combinations. For details click (here).
Mark Hébert
bearmark
Beermeister

Dos Maderas PX Follow-Up

Post by bearmark »

I finally found an opportunity to taste Dos Maderas PX; unfortunately. My bottle of 5+3 is long gone so I'm not able to perform a direct comparison. With PX, I noted a distinct flavor of bitter plum and raisin. These flavors are lead by mild orange and followed by a cloying sweetness and mild burn. I can't say for sure, but I think the 5+3 was probably better.

I also had the opportunity to taste Zacapa XO today, while visiting Branson, MO. I made a stop at a small store that specializes in craft beer and the owner offered me a dram of his favorite rum. Zacapa XO is quite good, if not overly expensive (and the bottle is a beauty). It has a lot of tangy citrus up front, with a nice balance of dry and sweet midway and finishes with a lingering and enjoyable burn. There are notes of raisin, feint hazelnut, white pepper and a nice balance throughout. There's nothing overpowering here like in the PX above. Of course it's hard to look past the price. :wink:

The saddest part is that the store is closing down next month because of the bigger stores and the lack of interest in craft beer, fine spirits and great service. This was the best experience I've ever had at a liquor store. Ive never had an owner offer me a bottle of water to cleanse my palate, then pour me a dram of his favorite $100 rum from his personal stash. I don't even live here and I'm sad to see them go.
Mark Hébert
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I just revisited my bottle of Zacapa XO the other night (I am not rich I got it for a reasonable $49 from Shopper's vineyard a while back - I miss them since they stopped shipping liquor.) Excellent rum.

This led me to a tour of the better rums I have in my collection.

If anyone is interested I started another thread here.

http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopi ... =2034#2034