Tequila Talk

Great tasters note that one way to better your understanding of a spirit is to try others. We've already tried calvados, cognac, armangnac, tequila, whisky and gin. Here's some of the more unusual spirits and drinks. Mead me halfway on this, woncha?
da'rum
Minor God

Tequila Talk

Post by da'rum »

Carrying on from the 'don't trust Canadians thread'. I thought the conversation that was building about tequila was interesting. Sooo.

Copy and pasted the posts here in hope of continuing Tequila talk.

Quote:
The company was created in 1989 when John Paul DeJoria, and Martin Crowley formed The Patrón Spirits Company with the stated singular goal of producing “the best tequila in the world.”
NCyankee wrote;

"Such marketing bullshit - the hilarious part of it is, until 2002 Patron didn't produce any tequila whatsoever, they merely purchased Tequila produced by Siete leguas, slapped their own label on it, and sold it as "Patron".

The ironic thing is - up until they got too big for Siete Leguas and started making their own Tequila, they actually were one of the best Tequilas in the world. Now it is one of the most mediocre.

You can still buy Siete leguas, and it is still excellent. Also considerably cheaper than Patron in most areas."

Bearmark wrote;

"It's not unusual for a new distiller to source distillates from other distillers until they have an opportunity to ramp up production and/or properly age their own distillates.

A great example is High West Distillery, who has produced vodkas and un-aged whiskeys, while demonstrating a mastery of blending sourced whiskeys to produce some great products. Exemplary examples of the latter include: Rendezvous Rye, Double Rye, Bourye, Son of Bourye, Campfire, 12 Year Old Rye, 16 Year Old Rocky Mountain Rye and 21 Year Old Rocky Mountain" Rye.

To my knowledge, High West has only produced a single product that was distilled and aged in their Park City, UT facility. That was Valley Tan Oat Whiskey, which is already sold out. Based on my experience with their sourced products, I'm looking forward to more great things from their distillery. I surely hope that they don't suffer the demise in quality that has plagued Patron, which I agree is overpriced, average tequila.

By the way, if you want to try some great tequila in a bit lower price range than Patron (but still not cheap), then check out Herradura Añejo or El Tesoro Añejo (my current favorite). If you want to sample a unique and intriguing tequila, then try to find Excellia Blanco or Reposado. Excellia gets tequila from El Tesoro and ships it to France to be finished in Grand Cru Sauternes wine casks and in Cognac barrels. It's a uniquely flavored tequila."

NCyankee wrote

"The difference is tequila isn't aged nearly as long as whiskey, repos less than a year and few anejos more than 2 years. It certainly doesn't take 13 years to get a tequila brand up and running. This was a pure Sidney frank-type move, similar to what Deleon is trying to do now - the difference is according to reports Deleon is not nearly worth the $100+ price tag, in fact most say it is pretty mediocre, though I assume "status-conscious" consumers are buying it because I haven't seen any meaningful price drop yet.

I have the whole Herradura line, interesting taste though not my favorite. My El tesoro anejo (newer olive oil bottle) is almost empty, and I recently got a bottle of the repo at a great price in Florida when I was on vacation. It also has an unusual briney taste, some call it "green olive". I would love to get my hands on some ET white label treasure bottles, which is supposed to be superior to the current product, but they are getting rarer by the day.

Siete Leguas has more of a "classic" Tequila flavor profile, and is considered by many to be the standard for that profile. Also highly regarded are Tapatio (which just recently began US distribution) and Fortaleza/Los Abuelos.

My favorite blanco Tequila is Casa Noble, which has its own unique earthy flavor profile. I recently was able to try the anejo and it is excellent."
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

So hopefully you two aren't finished yet as good Tequila I haven't tried and the subject is interesting.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good thread and in the right place...

In our adventures in first rum, then whisky, gin et al both Sue Sea and I began to more prefer the dryness of the latter spirits. This is rum's own fault as unlabeled sugar, glycerol and sweetness and flavor enhancers abound. For example, no one can deny this practice in say Zaya or Diplomatico, to the extent that cleansing water was almost mandatory.

It's fair to say that if a spirit requires palate cleansing, something is wrong.

OTOH, the other spirits mentioned don't seem to be so modified, and any sweetness is a natural outcome of fermentation, distillation and aging. All of which is a long way about to this subject of tequila.

Considering the minimal aging of most tequilas, we believe that like Sydney Frank's marketing of simple vodka as "super-premium", tequila suffers much the same fate and at the same hands - those of the marketing department. Still, The Project was dedicated to the notions that high cost does not mean high quality, and that - like rum - good tequilas at reasonable cost were worth finding.

So what about Tequila?

Accordingly, we found the Milagro and Hornitos tequilas to be actually quite pleasant and nicely reminiscent of the cane juice category. But to be fair, the going is tougher in this category as many tequilas are priced so dearly. It was then I found something interesting, as a related spirit wormed its way into my consciousness...

Mezcal.

As I have no doubt that most of you know, mezcal is considered the ugly sister to tequila. While tequila promotes its "100% Blue Agave" premise, mezcal is derived from the mostly unknown and unpromoted maguey plant. Never you mind that maguey is really just another form of agave, it's not the marketing departments hallowed and heavily promoted "100% Blue Agave" version, so we led to assume that mezcal surely sucks. And while drunken frat boys measure their manhood on swallowing the "worm in every bottle", a deep pocketed tequila drinker finds the former wiggly offputting and low class.

Not true.

Though we haven't gotten to the worm yet, we have found the only mezcal available to us - "Monte Alban Mezcal con Gusano" (mezcal with worm) - really very, very pleasant with a natural earthy sweetness and spice that earned our respect. That this unpretentious poor cousin sells under $20 is a bonus.

Carry on...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Well in my usual manic way I have been spending a lot of time in the last two days reading a tonne on Tequila and distilling practices, the dreaded ugly head of colouring and the prices for the different well 'rated' Tequilas.

From my position I can snap a bottle that has been rated well (caution) for between 20-40€.

More reading to be done but will pull the pin on a bottle when I get back from OS and see if I like it.
in goes your eye out
bearmark
Beermeister

Recommendations and next steps...

Post by bearmark »

I've mentioned a couple of tequilas that I like above and I'll add another here. Since the Cap'n mentions Hornitos (my first decent tequila), I'll add that I've since discovered that El Jimador is an excellent entry level tequila that is quite good. I prefer the Reposado, but they also make a highly rated (at a higher cost) Añejo. On my next trip to Colorado, I plan to get a $20 bottle of Muchoté Reposado, which isn't available in Texas. I've heard that this one is really great at any price.

On another note, I'm definitely no tequila snob and the "100% Weber Blue Agavé grown in Tequila, Mexico" doesn't really matter to me. I was intrigued by Excellia's French-influenced tequila and that was a fun adventure. The idea of finishing tequila in Sauternes and cognac barrels, like the practice with Scotch whisky and bourbon, really sounded interesting. I'm not that impressed with the results, but I'm glad that I gave it a try and I have enjoyed both the Blanco and Reposado. I even had to go out of state to Louisiana to find a distributor, but it was worth the effort. If you can find a bottle, I would still recommend giving the Blanco a try as it's the better of the two.

In a similar fashion, I've never tried Mezcal or Sotol, but the Cap'n has inspired me to move into yet another uncharted territory. I'll be back with some new experiences on that. :wink:

Back to Tequila, which has definitely become over-priced and it's not hard to imagine that much of this is due to marketing hype. I've had the opportunity to try some expensive tequila and I haven't been impressed with any of them. I was able to get some Kirkland Signature Extra Añejo (Costco) for $22 (liter) and this is definitely the strongest aged flavor that I've experienced with tequila. The charred oak is very strong! It's not the style of tequila that I prefer, but it was a cheap way to get the extra añejo experience from a well respected offering at a decent price. Again, this isn't available in Texas, but I was able to find a bottle in Tallahassee, FL. If you want to taste a well aged tequila, then give this a try.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Speaking of Mezcal...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Speaking of Mezcal...

I'd like to relate a few facts from a book that I couldn't recommend more: F.Paul Pacult's "Kindred Spirits 2". In this tome Pacult cover his very competent tasting method and passes along his Top 100 spirits of all time (you might be very surprised at these). The book is divided into spirits including 2400+ spirits divided by gin, vodka, rum tequila, sotol and mezcal, rum, whisk(e)y, single malts, cognac, armangas, grappa, pisco, arak, eau-de-vie, marc, slivovitz, brandy, liqueuers, schapps, vermouth and more.

It is literally a bible of tasting and reviews, and is quite the education. About mezcal, Pacult relates the following:

1. Tequila is made from 100% blue agave, formally called Tequiliana Weber Azul. Blanco is bottled within 60 days, Reposado from 60 days to 1 year, Anejo from 1 to 3 years and Extra Anejo more than 3 years.

2. Raising agave is a long term process (8 to 10 years), but fields are constantly being planted or replanted.

3. Tequila is VERY regulated, and unlike rum may contain no colorings or additives at all.

4. Mixto contains at least 51% blue agave, but the rest can be sugar based.

5. Pacult says "...beware of products named Gold, Abocado, Suave or Joven as these are heavily altered, very cheap unaged tegquilas that may contain coloring, glycerol or sugar (like many altered rums).".

6. Mezcal may produced from any one five varieties of agave (except blue). Unlike tequila which is double distilled, mezcal is distilled once and accordingly contains much more of the natural oils and natural chemical compounds that give off musky, smoky aromas.

7. According to Pacult the fans of mezcal claim these unusual aromas are what distinguish it and make it more authentic. They claim mezcal is the real deal, not a deballed version.

He adds that he really couldn't find much to like in mezcal up until about 2003, but that the product had increased greatly in quality by the tme of publication in 2008. It is now yet another 4 years, in 2012 and I can tell you that the Monte Alban was really quite nice with a lightly sweet earthiness that reminds one of a cane juice rum like Saint James.

Carry on...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Going through more info and prices; I can see me trying it but not making it a regular buy. Between rum and scotch my wallet is already suffering Bulimia (binge and purge).

Over priced trendy Tequila might ruin my cool. I'll keep one half opened bleary eye out for a bargain.
in goes your eye out
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Sorry I missed the re-direction of this thread and just noticed it tonight.

Cap'n - in regards to mezcal, if you liked Monte Alban (which is the Bacardi gold of mezcals, good mezcal does not have worms) you are going to lose your mind when you get ahold of some better mezcal. This might be difficult in Florida as for some reason there don't seem to be many brands available there. Looking at Total Wine's inventory, I see El Tinieblo (which I haven't tried but scored very highly on F Paul Pacult's annual spirits competition), priced at $40-50-58 blanco/repo/anejo. Del maguey chichicapa, which is a favorite of many mezcal lovers but not cheap at around $65.

Del maguey makes some very good mezcals but they are all more than $60, good mezcal does not come cheap. I have a bottle of their Vida, which is ~$35 and a lower proof version of their San Luis, as well as being made more from the heads and tails. It also scored very high in pacult's competition, but as I have said before their standards must be different than most Mezcal aficionados because the most respected mezcals - Del maguey chichicapa and minero - did not score well at all, much lower than Vida.

I have several bottles in the $30-40 range, my favorite is Sombra, but the Fidencios are also decent. Pierde almas is a highly respected brand, I have had a sample of it and it was excellent but not cheap at around $70.

Ilegal is also a highly respected brand, the silver is usually around $50 and upwards to $100 for the anejo. I am finding I actually prefer unaged mezcal, much as I tend to like good Blanco tequilas, I just prefer the taste of agave - which is somewhat delicate - on its own, unadulterated by wood. I have had some outstanding repo and anejo tequilas though.

Scorpion is supposed to be decent but has an actual scorpion exoskeleton in the bottle shich I find a little off-putting.
NCyankee
Admiral

Re: Recommendations and next steps...

Post by NCyankee »

bearmark wrote: On my next trip to Colorado, I plan to get a $20 bottle of Muchoté Reposado, which isn't available in Texas. I've heard that this one is really great at any price.

I've had the opportunity to try some expensive tequila and I haven't been impressed with any of them. I was able to get some Kirkland Signature Extra Añejo (Costco) for $22 (liter) and this is definitely the strongest aged flavor that I've experienced with tequila. The charred oak is very strong! It's not the style of tequila that I prefer, but it was a cheap way to get the extra añejo experience from a well respected offering at a decent price. Again, this isn't available in Texas, but I was able to find a bottle in Tallahassee, FL. If you want to taste a well aged tequila, then give this a try.
bearmark - Muchote is an excellent low-priced repo, I paid $25 from Hi-time wine in California, at $20 i would load the boat. The only bargain tequila I have had that I like better is Don celso repo, if you can find it for around $25 it is outstanding. I've only ever seen it at Hi-time.

Casa noble makes my favorite tequilas across all age statements, but is a little higher priced at $40-50 - but well worth it.

I ordered from Spec's in Houston a while back and got a low priced extra-anejo - Toro de Lidia - for $30, it is good but very very woody - far moreso than the Kirkland's anejo. If you can find it, it is interesting enough to be worth trying. I'm not sure the Kirkjland is actually an extra anejo, the label says "extra aged" in small letters under the anejo, which is rather ambiguous and I haven't been able to find any definitive age statement.

Some bargain Tequilas that are good - El Ultimo, at $15-20 (all age ranges are quite good). Familia camarena, same price range. 30-30. Espolon. Corazon, which is below $20 in some places but much higher in others.

I have had bottles of el jimador repo and Hornitos silver and was not a fan of either. Of course, I had better tequila before trying these - had they been my first decent tequilas, I probably would have liked them more.

Surprisingly, I didn't mind Lunazul anejo for $19 though I hated the repo, I might have had a bad bottle - it had a weird soapy taste. I also have a bottle of the blanco and it is just OK.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Tequila and mezcal

Post by sleepy »

You know, I've spent a heck of a lot of time in Mexico and drunk some outstanding tequilas, but at current pricing, I rarely do any more. With tequila, however, you do have one assurance - it is distilled blue agave and nothing else. The frat brats' favorite - Jose Cuevo - is not tequila, being 60% (or some such) clear spirits. (Favorite locally available, almost bargain tequila - Tres Generaciones anjeo. NOTE: just looked, new botlle, new designer prices - now a good overpriced tequila.)

The state of Oaxaca is my favorite stomping ground in Mexico - and the home of outstanding mezcals. Only a tiny fraction ever depart the local market. Most local mezcalarias are small family operations: an acre or two of Maguey, one or two traditional domed brick smoking chambers, a malting room and a pot still. The vast bulk of production is sold fresh, and very few families even have aging casks, much less fresh ones.

An aside on the rustic process: it begins with selecting 1-3 mature plants and digging the 3+' root balls free from the roots (HARD work!), cleaning them, smoking them from a few days to a few weeks, pulping the smoked root (VERY HARD work), open vat fermentation and finally distillation.

The larger haciendas, like Benebal - a personal favorite - maintain modern quality control and proper casks for making aged reposado (2-11 months) and añejo (>12 months).

Monte Alban (sorry Jimbo) is a pale pretender, cranked out in volume and rarely even seen on the shelves there outside of tourist areas.

I have found in my wanderings, that good mezcal, fresh from proud artisans is a a delight. The very best of them easily compete with or beat any designer-priced tequila for for depth of rich, smoky flavor (say you like Islays? :D) mouth feel and finish.

I can do no more than recommend a visit to the central valley of Oaxaca - a region of craftsmen so skilled the Aztecs and Maya traded, rather than conquered; where family is first and hearts are huge; where 7 moles and countless other savory foods will make your palate happy. <shakes self> I could go on for far too long. If possible, visit during the days of the dead - during which the spirits of deceased family and friends a welcomed back. Needless to say, much mezcal is consumed :)

Oh, it's also a very inexpensive destination unless you choose to stay in the Camino Real and eat in the trendy upscale restaurants - and at that you get off cheaper than, say, Puerto Vallarta (which I used to love before the gated communities and occupants)

Sorry for the long babble. SUMMARY: Go to Oaxaca, sample Mezcal, meet great folks, eat great food - you'll go back!

Capn's Log: Thanks for the heads up on the Monte Alban. I agree, it is light and pleasant enough, but I was expecting more. Unfortunately mezcals are rare here, and Monte is the one (sometimes the only one) carried.
Last edited by sleepy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Great post Sleepy. A good read.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mixed feelings...

To date I've been under the impression that Tequila is very tightly regulated, even insofar as warehouse control. But at other times I've not been so sure... so I decided to find and examine the Mexican regulations. Here's a few exerpts...

Background first...
4.34 Tequila

The regional alcoholic beverage obtained by distilling musts, prepared directly and originally from extracted material, in the manufacturing facilities of an Authorized Producer, which must be located in the territory specified in the Declaration, derived from the hearts of tequilana weber blue variety Agave, previously or subsequently hydrolyzed or cooked, and subjected to alcoholic fermentation with cultivated or uncultivated yeasts, wherein said musts may be enhanced and blended together before fermentation with other sugars up to a proportion no greater than 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass, pursuant to this Official Mexican Standard, and with the understanding that cold mixing is not permitted.

Tequila is a liquid that, according to its type, is colorless or colored when aged in oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) wood containers, or when mellowed without aging.

Tequila may be enhanced by the addition of sweeteners, coloring, aromatizers and/or flavorings permitted by the Ministry of Health in order to provide or intensify its color, aroma and/or flavor.

Reference to the term “Tequila” in this NOM is understood to apply to the two categories indicated in Chapter 5, except for express references to “100% agave” Tequila.

4.34.1 Silver Tequila (Blanco)
A product whose commercial alcohol content must be adjusted by dilution with water.

4.34.2 Gold Tequila (Joven or Oro)
A product that may be enhanced by mellowing and whose commercial alcohol content must be adjusted by dilution with water. The result of blending silver Tequila with aged and/or extra-aged Tequila is considered gold Tequila.

4.34.3 Aged Tequila (Reposado)
A product which may be enhanced by mellowing, subject to an aging process of at least two months in direct contact with the wood of oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) containers. Its commercial alcohol content must be adjusted by dilution with water, as applicable. The result of blending aged Tequila with extra-aged Tequila is considered aged Tequila.

4.34.4 Extra-aged Tequila (Añejo)
A product that may be enhanced by mellowing, subject to an aging process of at least one year in direct contact with the wood of oak (holm or holm oak) or Encino oak containers with a maximum capacity of 600 liters. Its commercial alcohol content must be adjusted by dilution with water. The result of blending extra-aged Tequila with ultra-aged Tequila is considered extra-aged Tequila.

4.34.5 Ultra-aged Tequila (Extra Añejo)
A product that may be enhanced by mellowing, subject to an aging process of at least three years, without specifying the aging time in its label, in direct contact with the wood of oak (holm or holm oak) or Encino oak containers with a maximum capacity of 600 liters. Its commercial alcohol content must be adjusted by dilution water.

And now: Tequila vs 100% Agave...
5.1.1 “100% agave”

Pursuant to Section 4.34 of this NOM, a product whose fermentation may not be enhanced with sugars other than those obtained from the tequilana weber blue variety Agave grown in the territory specified in the Declaration. For the product to be considered “100% agave” Tequila, it must be bottled in the bottling plant controlled by the Authorized Producer, which must be located within the territory specified in the Declaration.

This product must be labeled using one of the following statements: “100% de agave,” “100% puro de agave,” “100% agave,” or “100% puro agave,” to which the word “azul” [“blue”] may be added.
5.1.2 “Tequila”

The product defined in paragraph one of Section 4.34 of this NOM whose musts may be enhanced and blended together prior to fermentation with other sugars in a proportion not to exceed 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass. This maximum enhancement of up to 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may not be done with sugars from any species of Agave. The 51% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may only be enhanced with tequilana weber blue variety Agave grown in the territory specified in the Declaration.

This product may be bottled in plants not belonging to an authorized producer under strict compliance by the bottler of the conditions set forth in Section 6.5.4.2 and other applicable provisions of this NOM.

About "Other Sugars"...
6.3 Other Sugars

The product covered under this NOM may be enhanced with other sugars in the fermentation process up to a proportion not to exceed 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass for the Tequila referenced in Section 5.1.2; however, cold mixing is not permitted. This maximum enhancement of up to 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may not be done with sugars from any species of Agave. The 51% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may only be enhanced with tequilana weber blue variety Agave grown in the territory specified in the Declaration.

About Aging...
6.4 Aging

In the case of aged Tequila (reposado), the product shall be aged in direct contact with the wood of oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) containers for at least two months.

For extra-aged Tequila (añejo), the aging process shall last at least one year in direct contact with the wood of oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) containers with a maximum capacity of 600 liters.

For ultra-aged Tequila (extra añejo), the aging process shall last at least three years in direct contact with the wood of oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) containers with a maximum capacity of 600 liters.

The aging of the Tequila shall be performed by the Authorized Producer within the territory specified in the Declaration.

And re Adulteration...
6.5.2 Use of Sugars

6.5.2.1 The Tequila producer shall demonstrate, at all times, that the product has not been adulterated in the manufacturing stages of its production. To this end, the Authorized Tequila Producer shall maintain updated records of at least the following documents:

a) Invoices or documents confirming the purchase of the raw materials (Agave and other sugars).
b) Documents confirming raw material input and output.
c) Documents confirming the movement of the finished product.
d) Inventories of raw materials and finished product, including, specifically, the finished product allocated to aging or bottling.

6.5.2.2 At no time may any product that does not contain Tequila be distilled or produced in the Authorized Producer’s Tequila facility.

How 'bout Bottling?
6.5.4 Bottling

The Tequila bottler shall demonstrate, at all times, that the product has not been adulterated between its bulk delivery and final bottling. For such purposes, bottling activities shall be subject to the following guidelines:

6.5.4.1 When dealing with the product belonging to the category referred to in section 5.1 of this NOM, the product shall be aged and bottled within the territory specified in the Declaration in the bottling plant of the Authorized Producer. In the event that the bottling plant is not located at the producer’s facilities, the bulk transport of the product shall be supervised by the Conformity Assessment Body, pursuant to the current procedures approved by the DGN. The bottling plant is considered to be property of the Authorized Producer when said Authorized Producer maintains complete control over the bottling process.

6.5.4.6 The bottler shall not simultaneously bottle a product other than Tequila in its facilities, unless it has clearly differentiated bottling lines in the opinion of the Conformity Assessment Body and obtains authorization from said Conformity Assessment Body, with the due advanced notice prior to the startup date of the simultaneous bottling of any product other than Tequila.

6.5.4.8 To demonstrate that the Tequila has not been adulterated during the bottling process, the comparisons of chromatographic areas and peaks made at the bottling plant shall coincide with those obtained at the Authorized Producer’s facility.

Flat Ass Bottom Line:

Believe me, I've barely scratched the surface of the Mexican Regs (which I have and will reproduce here soon). The bottom line is simple:

1. Bottles labeled "Tequila" unless accompanied by "100% agave" or "100% blue agave" are bullshit. Avoid at all costs.

2. OTOH, the "100 Agave" products are scrupulously inspected, tested and controlled at all stages of production, aging, bottling and sales. Screw up and there is actually a presumption of guilt! Really.

3. Aging is not very long, and is done using "oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak)", in some very large containers that may exceed 600 liters for "Reposado" (aged just months), and "up to 600 liters" for Anejo (1 year) and Extra Anejo (3 years). The number of uses of these very large containers is not specified.

In sum, 100% Agave Tequila remains a fairly young, but VERY highly controlled and pure spirit. I can find no mention of E-150a (please correct me if I'm wrong here), so any color is surely from the oak used. Thankfully, there is NO comparison whatever to the wacky world of whatever carries the label "Rum"...

Capn's Note: For the OCDr's among us - including moi - here's whatcher lookin fer: http://www.tequila.net/tequila-faqs/wha ... quila.html
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by John Willy »

Thanks sleepy,

Spent some time in the Oaxaca Valley in my early to mid 20's in the early '70s. Sounds not too much different now.

Sampled too much of the 'mom &pop' mezcal from the southern end of the valley....frat-brat style.....how much can you drink and still stand/sit up. Other than those youthful over indulgences it was a magical place.

About an hours drive west the coastal ranges were full of mushrooms......another one of those youthful over indulgences.

Thanks for sparking the memories. No one is left that shared most of my youthful experiences.

Regards,
John
If you're happy and don't know you're happy, then nobody is home.....
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

I think I've mentioned in my introduction that tequila was my gateway into distilled spirits, and not in a frat-boy drink until you fall drunk way, either.

Fast forward to last month, here in the burgh of Fresno there was mini tequila festival/event that yours truly checked out. Hey, it's been 7 years since I last went to the Whisky Expo in SF, so I was very overdue to try this out.

Let me say upfront, that this was NOT in the ideal setting, being held at a pizza/grill joint, and the pours were made into the tiny plastic cups used to dispensed medicines, barely enough to get any flavor and also contributing to the notion that tequila is to be "slammed" in a shot rather than nosed and enjoyed on its own merit.

Also, que the "beer garden" with premixed margaritas and snacks of tacos and other Mexican items to chow down, and busty beer girls in tow "Viva Dos XX, 'migo!" \m/ :? Ah well, all was not lost.

That also meant that this was a rather small (6 or 7 different brands available) and amateurish affair, but there were some knowledgeable amateurs and some very good tequilas.

I'll name 2 that I had a very favorable impression of, and 1 that smelled like it should have been something from my car.

The folks who were called in to cover for a gent who couldn't make it to the event to display his brand of tequila were definitely among the "white hat" folk, and they brought T1 aka Tequila Uno.

This stuff was quite good, even the silver, which had a smoothness I have not previously encountered in a young, unaged tequila. The reposado and anejo were also quite good.

The other tequila that I found of note was La Forteleza, sold in Mexico under Los Abuelos and unable to do so here in the USA due to a rum which includes "Abuelos" in it's title (how's THAT for a rum connection? :lol: ).

The silver tequila from this brand was also very smooth and without the harshness of other unaged distilled spirits. The reposado and anejo were also astounding.

Apparently, La Forteleza is from a 5th generation Sauza (yes, THAT Sauza, even though the family sold that in 1976, they did keep some land and the smallest distillery .... as mentioned here.

Now, the stinker in the bunch, and there were a few others that weren't bad, they were just "OK", was the one which HAD to be there as Gallo or it's distributor in the Central Valley helped underwrite this event.

This literally had the smell of some diesel distillate, or something from an engine crankcase, and I should know, having spent some time in THAT field of work, too.

Absolutely nothing I can say in defense of this, and it makes me wonder about Gallo's Shellback rums......well, not really :P
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

T1 and Fortaleza are two of the favorite brands of tequila nuts. I have tried the Fort blanco and repos but have not sprung for bottles of any of them.

I am surprised you disliked the Camarena so much. I (and most people at tequila.net) find it a very decent bargain mixer at a price of around $15-20. The blanco does have a very strong acetone smell to it when first opened, but it goes away after a couple days, and I didn't find that it carries over into the taste as much as it seems it would.

T1 is a very sweet and smooth tequila and if you had the camarena afterward, it would probably taste rather raunchy in comparison.