Tequila Talk

Great tasters note that one way to better your understanding of a spirit is to try others. We've already tried calvados, cognac, armangnac, tequila, whisky and gin. Here's some of the more unusual spirits and drinks. Mead me halfway on this, woncha?
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

NCY, you might be right about the taste of Camarena being jarring after trying T1 and La Forteleza...and with the bottle being cracked for the first time at the beginning of the event, that's nowhere near enough time to allow it to air out the chemical acetone components.

As I think I mentioned, the event was done under less than ideal conditions for a fair tasting, however, this wasn't my first time at the rodeo, so to speak. :wink:

Camarena might be just fine as a mixer, but I don't keep those kinds of things on hand, personally. I prefer products that I can enjoy neat or with either a splash or a pair of ice cubes, unless it's Stagg, then ice cubes AND water are mandatory! :shock: :D
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Tequila is like cachaca in that some of the better sippers are not good for mixed drinks such as margaritas because the flavor can be too subtle to come through.

I have found a great inexpensive but sippable blanco tequila that has become my go to mixer - Costco's Kirkland brand, which is ~$20 for a 1.75 ltr bottle. It is a little on the sweet side and not complex, but but has a strong agave flavor.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

This thread has been very helpful.

In particular, the cap'n's analysis of the rules. I have long loved Riazul tequila, but have been afraid that the beautiful vanilla/caramel notes involved were the result of additives. After digging into it a bit, on a website I found the ominous statement

"Our close attention during production guarantees consistency and quality in every glass you pour." Another article says that (Inaki Orozco) "also mentions a specialized oxygenation and filtering system to improve the taste post-distillation."

Hmmm...does that attention include adjustment/tweaking?

However, I have also found that it's aged in XO cognac barrels, so some sweetness is reasonable to be expected. It also says 100% Agave Azul on the label. Again, this is good, according to the regulations distilled above.

Anyone out there also tried this? What do you think? I know I loved this the last time I tried it a few years back. I've been thinking it's time to stock up, but wanted to put some feelers out here to see if anyone could add anything.