Rum Review: Myers's Original Dark Rum

Now's here's the real stuff - traditional, cleans your socks on the way down. Unlike the Royal Navy, the pirates drank while eating, sailing and fighting - the first multitaskers. Here's to Port Royal, the Port of Orgies! Say it loud and say it plowed!

How do you rate Myer's Original Dark Rum for sipping (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
67%
33%
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Myers's Original Dark Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Myers's Original Dark Rum: "Grandpa's Rum"

Did I just type "Myers's"? Is that a typo? It is not. It is a concession to tradition that proves that modern marketing monkeys are not allowed on the property. Good!

I will always remember my dear Grandfather's single concession to alcohol, Myers's Original Dark Rum - with its now famous, amber glass flask-type bottle, and old fashioned, 1920's label featuring, what else - a stack of rum barrels, sugar cane and an old distillery. A rum from his era - when he drove one of the early, wooden spoked touring cars (a 1917 Owens Magnetic, currently garaged in a Pittsburgh museum). I have little doubt that he came upon Myers when he moved to Puerto Rico to house his growing coffee roaster business.

Dear Grandpa. I will always own a bottle. The reviews:

Sue Sea:
Long before our rum tasting began, I remember one of our trips to the Keys when we stopped at an old bar for some cafe cubano - when Jim scanned the bar, spotted the ubiquitous Myers bottle and ordered a shot, neat, with a chaser. Then raised his glass and toasted the man he loved and revered. A memorable moment and portent of things to come.

I found Myers surprising. It's dark amber, take no prisoners bottle was NOT designed by the marketing department. You think "Is this medicine? Can I handle this 'full-bodied' rum?".

In the bottle it looks black - but in a tasting glass it's a more typical dark amber, swirls thick and with solid, slow legs. I was expecting to nose a strong alcohol, but to my surprise, I found a very pleasant light, almost grassy, reedy aroma with light vanilla in the background. Some coffee or perhaps hazelnut, and a solid, deep raisin. Myers's taste was consistent with notable raisin. The finish was a smooth lingering peppery, full-mouth warmth.

All said, I was surprised how smooth Myers was, much more pleasant than I thought, not syrupy, not clingy. A nice smooth, warm rum.
Me:

I will agree with Sue Sea up to point, the finish. It is well to remember that Myers is a very traditional Jamaican dark rum. Pot stilled and retaining lots of spicy clout. I too was impressed by Myers's initial aroma: light and sweet, yes a bit reedy (!), some light alcohol. Nose deep and you get a wonderful deep sweet coffee-molasses. This rum is indeed full-bodied and consistent, and does feature a deep raisin. The finish is quite peppery and warm, a real full-mouth finish. You glow. Myers leaves a tobacco aftertaste.

Sue Sea and I will part company on the finish. She found it smooth, I found the astringent, almost bitter end palate and tobacco ending a bit much. Of course Myers is a well accepted mixing rum that no respectable mixologist can afford to be without. Is Myers sippable? Yes, but only if its finish and aftertaste appeal to you. Try it.

Score for sipping (10 is best): solid 5.

Note: Again, if you do vote please do post and share your uses of Myers for mixed drinks...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I was browsing around the ministry forums and noticed that Myers's dark does not seem to get much respect there. I am never without a bottle for mixing.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Right you are!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Simple snobbery...

Barbados and Jamaica were the early homes of rum. They were the rums of choice then for good reason and remain so now. Barbadian rum is best characterized by the pure and unadulterated rums of Richard Seale and his Foursquare distillery. Jamaica remained committed to the labor and art intensive pot still process, even when Coffey stilling and later column stills appeared.

Myer's Original remains a mixing standard in nearly all bars. The aged version, the Ten Year Legend is much harder to find but absolutely worth the effort. It is one of the best rums we have ever tasted, and compares well with other classics like Pusser's Blue Label.

Those who disagree and prefer their pussy Zee rums are sycophantic snobs who prefer Kool Aid to real rum...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I also noticed at least one person there call Doorley's XO "a decent rum" at the Total Wine price of $15. Of course, relative to their El Dorado 12 yr price of $20 it might be a "decent buy" but compared to nearly any other $15 rum it is an amazing deal. (The Ron Viejo de Caldas 3 yr is also an excellent rum for $15 I paid in Myrtle Beach).

I have yet to open my bottle of Myers's Legend. I guess i've been saving it for a special occasion, I opened my XO Cognac for the last one (New Year's eve).