Temptryst Rum

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
tweiss69
Landlubber

Temptryst Rum

Post by tweiss69 »

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything recently regarding Temptryst Rum. It won a lot of acclaim at Tales of the Cocktail a few years ago, and was never heard from again. Google only turns up older (2008-2009) references to them.

Any word?

Todd

Capn's Log: long ago we attended one of the Burr Bros. tastings in classic, old Florida Coral Gables where the inventor/founder/distiller Daniel Watson was in attendence and showing off a number of his various wooded rums. He'd established an experimental distillery under the TBA rules. Like all new distillers one of the great problems is tying up inventory for four to ten years before you can sell a single bottle.

So Daniel had experiemented with inserting staves of various woods into the rum, with LOTS of surface area, then pressure-aging it with the objective of getting wood effect in short (and more profitable) period of time (a technique that no one had ever really pulled off). At that tasting, we found most of his rums interesting, and a couple that weren't bad. He may have been onto something.

But nothing came to be.

I can no longer find a website, nor much mention of his years' long effort. A shame, because not just a few of the then active rum sites had taken real notice of this promising effort. I wish I could tell you more...