I'll Start

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

I'll Start

Post by Capn Jimbo »

My name is Jim, aka Jimbo, Capn Jimbo and "hey you!". Live with my dear Sue Sea my partner in crime, kayaking, home improvement and now rum tasting. Work as a hospice RN, semi-retired.

We first got into rum when a good friend took us for a magnificent Xmas boat ride to see Fort Lauderdale's famous lighting, by water. In appreciation - and knowing he loved rum and root beer (Bacardi) - I decided to buy him a nice bottle of a spirit I knew absolutely nothing about.

Did some research, came up with Mount Gay Special Reserve. Another boat ride and we all practically finished it. Feeling guilty I researched and bought him another, this time Flor de Cana Gold (4 year). He loved it.

And we were hooked. After that I dove into the net and some of the great websites including the Ministry, RnD, El Machete, Dood, Scotte's, BTI and Rum Reviews to name a few. Scotte suggested I attend Burr's Gifted tastings, and it was all downhill from there, lol.

My collection is now about 28 (I've honestly lost count), and I continue to learn and enjoy. I love rum's history and tradition...
Capn Jimbo

Sue Sea

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Regarding Sue Sea:

If you read the reviews here you'll be confronted with some pretty interesting reviews by "Sue Sea". And who is she? Glad you asked...

Sue Sea is my partner in crime - we met one day at Fort Lauderdale beach - I was wandering the surf line, fishing, while she was shelling. Our favorite activities. I asked her to go kayaking - which she loved - and we became regular companions and now live and love together.

And taste rum!

Sue Sea possesses many of the characteristics from which a great rum taster might benefit. A great cook with a great sense of curiosity, who know her spices, ingredients, tastes and aromas. Around the house I call her "The Chief Inspector". A hair out of place - she'll spot it. Her sense of exploration and curiosity is unbridled. She is focused, attentive and driven with a need to know and understand. Last she possesses a unique ability to relate aromas and tastes using words, examples and foods known and understood by all.

My favorite example of this is Angostura 1919. Among all the other descriptors, we finally recognized the key descriptor: "Banana's Foster"! And it is! You can spend hours wading through dense professional reviews and tasting notes, with tens of descriptors you likely won't find or understand - but "Bananas Foster" does it. You know it, it works and it's accurate. Sure, you can break BF down into the five or ten descriptors that make it up - but then you'd likely not have a clue.

With "Bananas Foster" you do. You understand, relate and likely, agree!

Our goal is to publish reviews that are simple but reasonable, understandable, reproduceable and that relate to the average person's life and understanding.

Believe me, Sue Sea has it goin on...
dbotr
Landlubber

Post by dbotr »

'welcome back

its a shame when life gets in the way of the stuff we love
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks.... I - like all of us - am glad to be alive in these amazing times. Welcome back! FWIW, I found a great independent phpbb forum programmer that's going to update the Project, and to make sure it works on cellphones.
RT
Quartermaster

Re: I'll Start

Post by RT »

Welcome back. A glass of Foursquare 2007 has been enjoyed this day in your honour.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo

Re: I'll Start

Post by Capn Jimbo »

RT thanks... I'm so glad to see you back...

Although this is the new version - designed to work well on both laptop and cell phones - I'm soon to install a new style - very tropical - that is simply stunning. It'll be fun. Let's all remember that the Project has remained by fair the most informative and voluminous source of rum information on the net, period.

This is due to you and the other regulars who spent many hours holding forth and sharing your knowledge. Ergo the Project has become a valuable public resource...

Best,
CJ