You say you got this thing called "Rrrum"?

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
rum-monkey
Greaser

You say you got this thing called "Rrrum"?

Post by rum-monkey »

You had me at the "Arrr" :wink:!

I've been a lurker here for a while. Came across this site after I finally decided to dive into the world of rum overcoming my anxiety which was due to my total unfamiliarity with it, as in: where do I start or do I start at all? Then I decided to just go for it. That first serious rum purchase was El Dorado 12. I think because it had a sailing ship on the label :D. I felt like such a pirate! I was fascinated! It tasted like I always imagined rum would. It felt excellent. But my thirst for knowledge was greater than my thirst for rum. At least back then. That's what led me to this site. And I'm grateful it did. I have learned so much by reading all the discussions, reviews and Capn's articles. Especially the Master Sugar List and all the posts about the shenanigans the rum companies engage in. I discovered I love rum and all I can say is: friends don't let friends drink El Dorado! There are much better choices. Because I now know that there is honest rum and it can stand on its own. Doesn't have to play second fiddle to whiskey or anything else. The exploration continues.

Rum Project has become my main resource for anything rum related and I'd like to express my gratitude to all who contributed to the informational, spirited, and entertaining discussions. And of course to Capn Jimbo for creating and maintaining this excellent resource with his brutally honest pieces.

I hope to be able to contribute, as little as I know, to keep the discussion going which might lead to improving the quality of the rum available to everyone. I know I'm making better buying choices thanks to this community. So I'm paying it forward by taking every opportunity I have to improve general level of everyone's rum related knowledge as I believe informed customers are best customers.

Na zdrowie!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thank you for your kind words. The Project was and remains a labor of love. We were honored that over time we were able to attract a group of very knowledgable people who were and are VERY serious about this spirit. To keep this forum pure and effective I rejected most registrants and only accepted those who showed real interest and commitment.

We remain totally non commercial, and did not seek freebies or publich soft ball reviews. The Project and our selected members were the first to challenge and finally expose the wholesale and unlawful alteration of rum, and the failure of the regulators to do their job.

Only when the government tests in Sweden and Finland exposed what we strongly believed - the hidden sugar in massive amounts - did the Big Three and others finally admit the practice. This also led to the independent production of unaltered and pure artisan releases.

Please know that the Project will remain, despite my low profile of late. I sold my home and purchased a cruising sailboat with the specific goal of cruising the Caribbean and visiting the distillers for first hand knowledge and reporting.

The Project is a valuable resource. The Master Sugar List is a tremendous resource, still valid and soon to be updated after my sailboat refit.